exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
41
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
what if your school is true pass fail (no grades at all)? We only have senior AOA, and grading during MS3/4
 

FlyingDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
45
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
exmike said:
what if your school is true pass fail (no grades at all)? We only have senior AOA, and grading during MS3/4
This means that you have no grades in MS1 and 2, so they can't count... go for the pass and don't worry about how you do in class.

However, doing well in your first 2 years of med school will help you do well on Step I, which does matter for residency applications.

So there probably is no substitute for hard work :D
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
41
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
FlyingDoc said:
This means that you have no grades in MS1 and 2, so they can't count... go for the pass and don't worry about how you do in class.

However, doing well in your first 2 years of med school will help you do well on Step I, which does matter for residency applications.

So there probably is no substitute for hard work :D
darnit, so much for sleepwalking t hrough my first two years!! :D
 

Redhawk

Fellow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
186
0
Detroit Area
Visit site
Status
I've heard, whether it's true or not, that some schools that use pass/fail systems still keep some form of grades to use for ranking students. If this were true it might affect AOA status and would be one reason to study hard. Also, I wonder if being in such a system makes it harder to match into a difficult field like Ophtho? Either way, I would highly recommend studying hard as it WILL help you for step 1 which can be the great equalizer. While I'm on the subject, I would recommend using your step 1 review books as you take your basic science courses. Previously learned info refreshes easier when you're using a familiar source. My 2 cents.
 

Morton

none
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
63
0
43
Status
Resident [Any Field]
exmike said:
what if your school is true pass fail (no grades at all)? We only have senior AOA, and grading during MS3/4

Hey exmike, I'm a 4th yr at Case -- if you ever have any questions, feel free to email me ([email protected]).

I don't think missing grades in the first 2 years is a big deal, but that combined with Case electing AOA in December of 4th year makes step1, 3rd year grades, and letters really important. If I were you, I'd try to get the Deans to do AOA elections earlier. They don't think it affects anything, but it does - having it may help get a few extra interviews.
 

monstermatch

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
142
0
Status
Grades matter. Even schools with pass/fail find a way to rank you.
 

FlyingDoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
45
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
monstermatch said:
Grades matter. Even schools with pass/fail find a way to rank you.
There are 2 schools that I know of that grades don't matter: Yale and Stanford. This is because they don't have class rank or AOA, so there is no tracking of your grades over time (i.e. no secret excel spreadsheet in a back room somewhere).
 

monstermatch

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
142
0
Status
FlyingDoc said:
There are 2 schools that I know of that grades don't matter: Yale and Stanford. This is because they don't have class rank or AOA, so there is no tracking of your grades over time (i.e. no secret excel spreadsheet in a back room somewhere).
Maybe so - I would be curious to hear from a student at Yale or Stanford. I suspect that there is some info in the deans letter that indicates their rank one way or another.
 

Morton

none
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
63
0
43
Status
Resident [Any Field]
monstermatch said:
Grades matter. Even schools with pass/fail find a way to rank you.
At Case there is a ranking system, but it is entirely based on the number of months of honors someone gets during core clerkships -- it has nothing to grades from the first two years. It appears as the strength of "the word" in the last sentence of the Dean's letter.