princesspinknes

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Optometry Student
is there any BOOK out there or LIST that describes the general strengths and weaknesses of each school? & it's respective stats..like they do for all the medical schools & the law schools?? does anyone ELSE find this unfair? just because we only have a few schools is no reason we should be discriminated against..

in_translation

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Status
Optometrist
princesspinknes said:
is there any BOOK out there or LIST that describes the general strengths and weaknesses of each school? & it's respective stats..like they do for all the medical schools & the law schools?? does anyone ELSE find this unfair? just because we only have a few schools is no reason we should be discriminated against..
You can check out opted.org for general information.
http://opted.org/info_profile1.cfm has the requirements for each school.
http://opted.org/info_profile2.cfm has the stats for the 2005 entering class.
As far as I know there is no book for admissions and statistics. You'll just have to check out each school's websites for more specifics. Sending away for information from schools can also help you compare.

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
If as many people applied to optometry school as applied to med and law schools.. there would be books. As it stands now, there's no market. So, no books.

When I took the OAT there was only one study guide... and it sucked.

KHE

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
Optometrist
cpw said:
If as many people applied to optometry school as applied to med and law schools.. there would be books. As it stands now, there's no market. So, no books.

When I took the OAT there was only one study guide... and it sucked.
Consider yourself lucky. Back in my day, we had NO study guides. The only thing we could rely on was other people who had taken the test and a cheesy little pamphlet that they sent you that had like 6 sample questions in it.

And that's the way it was and we LIKED IT!

And then we walked to school uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow.

(Actually, it wasn't uphill both ways but I grew up outside of Buffalo, so it WAS in 5 feet of snow.)

Its hard to list strengths and weakneeses of a school per se because one person's strength may well be another persons weekness.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
LOL

KHE said:
Consider yourself lucky. Back in my day, we had NO study guides. The only thing we could rely on was other people who had taken the test and a cheesy little pamphlet that they sent you that had like 6 sample questions in it.

And that's the way it was and we LIKED IT!

And then we walked to school uphill both ways in 5 feet of snow.

(Actually, it wasn't uphill both ways but I grew up outside of Buffalo, so it WAS in 5 feet of snow.)

Its hard to list strengths and weakneeses of a school per se because one person's strength may well be another persons weekness.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Someone posted an article and I downloaded it. It compares the opt schools based on things like prereqs, clinical exposure, and how many hours a gradute will have from each school in other categories like contact lens or ocular sciences.

I tried to post the link, but the file is too large(Don't know why cuz I got it on SDN).Anyway, PM w/ ur email and I can email it to you.