Juvenile Forensic Evaluations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Nikki

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha! I'm a soon to be early career psychologist and I'm hoping to do Juvenile Forensic Evaluations, I have some ideas, but still not exactly sure where to start, does anyone do this who can give me some guidance? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Do you have any other forensic evaluation experience and any idea of the types of evaluations you’re interested in? There are a variety of psycho-legal questions answered in juvenile court (e.g., waiver, disposition, placement, competency, risk, etc), so the knowledge base can be pretty broad. You also need to have a good grasp of developmental considerations and their impact on these questions. I think that many mistakenly look at juvenile evaluations as “adult-forensic evaluations lite.” Having an idea of your experience can help point you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a staff full of postdocs. Pay them 40k a year. While also securing contracts with various county courts to do the evals (competency and general psych). Then set up a competency attainment program within your practice that refers juveniles you've evaluated as incompetent to your program. You'll make some money. FAST. And you might be like "hmm doesnt that sound like a conflict of interest potentially doc?" Well you'd think that, yet it still happens, and no one really cares. You might even get questioned about it on the stand by a kiddo's attorney who doesnt like your postdoc's opinions. Magistrate's and judge's won't care. They just want the work done. And don't worry about training. Just read some grisso and you'll be fine. As for the reports themselves, just say each kiddo has ADHD and would benefit from attainment services (either outpatient through your practice, or after being sent to a residential facility and you can send one of your staff there). But this is very important...DO NOT recommend inpatient through the court. Just say outpatient while they are at the residential. Don't want the Court to have to pay for too much.

...Follow those steps and you'll make some money. Just make sure you never turn a report in late. They can be garbage reports all day long, but as long as you turn them in on time, you'll be fine and make money hand over fist.

----Don't really do this if you have any sort of decency. But....I've seen it done...and the people who do it are now millionaires.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Do you have any other forensic evaluation experience and any idea of the types of evaluations you’re interested in? There are a variety of psycho-legal questions answered in juvenile court (e.g., waiver, disposition, placement, competency, risk, etc), so the knowledge base can be pretty broad. You also need to have a good grasp of developmental considerations and their impact on these questions. I think that many mistakenly look at juvenile evaluations as “adult-forensic evaluations lite.” Having an idea of your experience can help point you in the right direction.
hey hey boom! I have 15 years experience working with minors (all ages but over time have decided I prefer 11-17), for a practicum I worked at my local county Juvenile Hall where I completed a general psycholgical eval on a teen as well as a competency eval for another (used the JACI, etc.) and did therapy and groups with the inmates, this was a year long and my only forensic experience with minors, I have previous experience doing evals with child welfare kiddos but I am not sure if that falls under the forensic umbrella. There is a panel of evaluators for my county who do juvenile forensic assessment but experience is required for all of them, I would apply to work back at the Juvenile Hall but the pay is terrible and I would mostly be doing therapy and only 1-2 assessments a year.. I assume I need to find someone local in private practice to work under to gain experience..

Develop a taste for ramen noodles?

These evaluations pay bubkis. You’re better off doing therapy for Medicare.
ah rats! i want moneys! haha ok noted thanks

Get a staff full of postdocs. Pay them 40k a year. While also securing contracts with various county courts to do the evals (competency and general psych). Then set up a competency attainment program within your practice that refers juveniles you've evaluated as incompetent to your program. You'll make some money. FAST. And you might be like "hmm doesnt that sound like a conflict of interest potentially doc?" Well you'd think that, yet it still happens, and no one really cares. You might even get questioned about it on the stand by a kiddo's attorney who doesnt like your postdoc's opinions. Magistrate's and judge's won't care. They just want the work done. And don't worry about training. Just read some grisso and you'll be fine. As for the reports themselves, just say each kiddo has ADHD and would benefit from attainment services (either outpatient through your practice, or after being sent to a residential facility and you can send one of your staff there). But this is very important...DO NOT recommend inpatient through the court. Just say outpatient while they are at the residential. Don't want the Court to have to pay for too much.

...Follow those steps and you'll make some money. Just make sure you never turn a report in late. They can be garbage reports all day long, but as long as you turn them in on time, you'll be fine and make money hand over fist.

----Don't really do this if you have any sort of decency. But....I've seen it done...and the people who do it are now millionaires.
oh wow interesting, any info on how people "secure contracts with the court" per chance? When I ask people they just say "you just have to network", is that true in your experience? I see people appointed as court evaluators for adults (through networking?) but haven't come across that for juveniles for some reason..

hey hey boom! I have 15 years experience working with minors (all ages but over time have decided I prefer 11-17), for a practicum I worked at my local county Juvenile Hall where I completed a general psycholgical eval on a teen as well as a competency eval for another (used the JACI, etc.) and did therapy and groups with the inmates, this was a year long and my only forensic experience with minors, I have previous experience doing evals with child welfare kiddos but I am not sure if that falls under the forensic umbrella. There is a panel of evaluators for my county who do juvenile forensic assessment but experience is required for all of them, I would apply to work back at the Juvenile Hall but the pay is terrible and I would mostly be doing therapy and only 1-2 assessments a year.. I assume I need to find someone local in private practice to work under to gain experience..
It sounds like you would have good foundational knowledge of some of the issues justice-involved, and dual-service youth would face. Now, the flip side is you would certainly need to make an effort to understand forensic practice through supervision, consultation, and continuing education. Your practicum sounds like it was a good start in exposing you to a competency evaluation and a general psych evaluation, but I would argue that you would need quite a bit to get up to speed.

I don’t mean to come across as harsh, but from my own experience with local panels, too many practitioners have found these types of evaluations to be an easy revenue stream and jumped in without the requisite training or experience. The result is subpar evaluations that ultimately ignore the fact, that as forensic evaluators, the courts are looking for opinions that assist in making some very consequential determinations for minors. When these opinions are rooted in flawed methodology or incompetent practice, you can see how harm can be done. And, as Buckeye noted, beware of those same private practitioners who would eagerly take you in as a report writing worker bee.

Soapbox over. I would recommend any of the continuing education courses through Concept CEs or the American Academy of Forensic Psychology. They can be pricy but you’ll ultimately be receiving instruction that reflects best practices. It will be a worthwhile investment for both preserving your license and credibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely seek mentorship as just because a court will offer you an assessment, doesn't mean you should do it. Every person deserves a competent clinician, and ethically that is what you want to also do. Learning more about it and inquiring here are great first steps. I don't work in this area, so I can't really offer additional information, but you'll find that sometimes all it takes is an inquiry.

Reactions: 3 users
It sounds like you would have good foundational knowledge of some of the issues justice-involved, and dual-service youth would face. Now, the flip side is you would certainly need to make an effort to understand forensic practice through supervision, consultation, and continuing education. Your practicum sounds like it was a good start in exposing you to a competency evaluation and a general psych evaluation, but I would argue that you would need quite a bit to get up to speed.

I don’t mean to come across as harsh, but from my own experience with local panels, too many practitioners have found these types of evaluations to be an easy revenue stream and jumped in without the requisite training or experience. The result is subpar evaluations that ultimately ignore the fact, that as forensic evaluators, the courts are looking for opinions that assist in making some very consequential determinations for minors. When these opinions are rooted in flawed methodology or incompetent practice, you can see how harm can be done. And, as Buckeye noted, beware of those same private practitioners who would eagerly take you in as a report writing worker bee.

Soapbox over. I would recommend any of the continuing education courses through Concept CEs or the American Academy of Forensic Psychology. They can be pricy but you’ll ultimately be receiving instruction that reflects best practices. It will be a worthwhile investment for both preserving your license and credibility.
This is really helpful thank you for taking the time! I know my 1 year in forensic isn't much, I'm ready to put in the work to get up to speed, however long it takes to do good work, and I plan on having an active license before working under someone in private pratice, I literally cant afford to work for such a low salary anymore! I ordered Grisso books and I'll do the certificate program, thank you :)

Definitely seek mentorship as just because a court will offer you an assessment, doesn't mean you should do it. Every person deserves a competent clinician, and ethically that is what you want to also do. Learning more about it and inquiring here are great first steps. I don't work in this area, so I can't really offer additional information, but you'll find that sometimes all it takes is an inquiry.
Right that was my impression too, working for someone in private practice who does them currently seems like the way to go!