JV220

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisell26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm working in a resident/fellow run child clinic. I have been told that a JV220A (long version of the form)needs to be done whenever a new provider sees a patient regardless of whether or not there is still time before the JV220 has time before it expires. Is this correct? I thought if we have the same attending then it should not matter if the patient is being seen by a different resident?

It's a tremendous amount of paperwork which is a pain when you only have 30 minutes to spend for your follow ups.

Thanks for any tips.

Members don't see this ad.

You can fill out a JV220 A form in about 3 to 4 minutes... I do them every few days or so. Efficiency is a muscle you develop more so outside of academia.

You have 30 minutes for all your followups? or per?

You can fill out a JV220 A form in about 3 to 4 minutes... I do them every few days or so. Efficiency is a muscle you develop more so outside of academia.

You have 30 minutes for all your followups? or per?

No it is 30 minutes per follow up. Filling out a JV220A form and asking all the pertinent questions, making sure an EKG/labs is done for each stimulant (otherwise they will reject it), takes more than just 3-4 minutes if you don't want to do a crappy a job to make sure it doesn't get rejected. I also get terrible writer's cramp after writing a ton of scripts.

I feel like this time could be better spent on actual patient care and parent education.

Members don't see this ad :)
The patient interview and chart gives you all the answers for the JV220. By the time you sit down to fill it out you know all the answers and it shouldn't take very long. My JV220s are always accepted, never had a problem. Admittedly, nobody likes more paperwork.

Try to shore up the time allotted for followups. I see around 30 patients a day - if I took 30 minutes per followup, I would need 15 hours a day for work. You're spending way too much time. You should still have time for patient care and education.

The patient interview and chart gives you all the answers for the JV220. By the time you sit down to fill it out you know all the answers and it shouldn't take very long. My JV220s are always accepted, never had a problem. Admittedly, nobody likes more paperwork.

Try to shore up the time allotted for followups. I see around 30 patients a day - if I took 30 minutes per followup, I would need 15 hours a day for work. You're spending way too much time. You should still have time for patient care and education.

Actually, the chart doesn't have all the answers in all cases. Also, when you have a Spanish Speaking parent who brings their kid in, you need to request an interpreter, which easily tacks on an additional 15 minutes. I work in a county clinic, so things run rather slowly here and we have a crappy EMR.

It is the attending's responsibility to be doing this type of a form if you are in training. You might fill some of it out, however, as this is a legal document, attending needs to sign it.

Does anyone know what type of situations stipulate of a JV220 is to be filed emergently (aside from an inpatient hospitalization)?

Does anyone know what type of situations stipulate of a JV220 is to be filed emergently (aside from an inpatient hospitalization)?

It should only be done emergency situations when the patient is hospitalized or when the patient is going to be out of a medication before the approval comes back (which can take a good 3-4 weeks in some cases).

With that said, I have seen Pediatrician's prescribe psychotropic medications to foster care children without ever writing for a JV-220. I don't know how they are getting away with it. The DHS Social Workers probably haven't caught up to them yet.

This seems like an unnecessary waste of resources and more paperwork that needs to be kept track of. At the very least, they should make the JV-220's good for at leas ta year, not every 6 months. If, I as a physician, feel that a medication is warranted, then after discussion with caregiver/foster parent/patient, should be able to prescribe it without this unnecessary complex process.