JVP measurement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dakgalbi2020

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

This may sound like a silly question, but I have always been perplexed regarding how JVP was measured. I understand why its measured, what it means, etc, but I never understood why you put a straight edge horizontally at the top of the pulsation and then have a ruler standing vertically at the angle of Louise intersecting it at a right angle. It's the angles that are confusing me lol. To me, I would think you would instead lie the ruler horizontally at the angle of Louise instead of vertically and then measure from there to the top of the pulsation with no straightedge involved. I'm not understanding why the ruler is placed vertically.. If someone could simplify this for me I would really appreciate it!