K-State Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with a few questions 🙂xf:hopefully alliecat reads this thread).

I have been looking at my available car buying options in Manhattan for next month and I am a little dissapointed. Most of the decent cars are over 10,000 dollars. I was wondering if it is better to buy a a junk car with 90,000+ miles for around 1-2 grand or if I should try to buy a more decent one. Also, does anyone have any experience with financing a car in vet school? Would I just get a car loan or can I use the funds from a med school loan for a car?

Also, does anyone from K-State know when we may be getting financial aid information for the upcoming semester. There is nothing currently online in my student account and I am a little concerned as to whether or not I should be trying to procure a private loan from a bank.

All help is greatly appreciated!
 
Hi sunnyshine,

Happy to help. I think you should absolutely be fine with a junky car as the farthest you'll have to drive in Manhattan is like ten miles. 🙂 The only exception would be if you were planning on making frequent trips to the Kansas City Airport (like, have an SO who will be flying in lots of weekends)--wouldn't want to break down in the middle of nowhere on I-70.

Regarding financial aid, don't worry--you'll see it affect your account around the first week of August. 🙂

Good luck and congrats!
 
... Also, does anyone have any experience with financing a car in vet school? Would I just get a car loan or can I use the funds from a med school loan for a car?

Personally, I bought a new-ish car the winter before I started vet school because my last car was a junker that DIED and I needed something to last for a longer time. I ended up with an affordable Hyundai with the 10 year 100K warranty. It's no looker, but it has a wagon for my big dog and I'm happy I bought it since I drive back home from school (4-5 hours each way) several times a year to visit my GF and family. Also, I drive up and down the East Coast a lot when I'm off school so it's nice to have that comfort. This thing better last the week after my warranty expires though. 😱

However, I only bought it because I calculated that I could stay on budget with my car payment as the cost of rent is so dirt cheap and I never planned to live alone (more expensive) during vet school. Other also factors contributed to my cost of living being fairly low. OTOH, if I had to pay more than $500 for a place to live during school, I would have gotten something cheaper.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally, I bought a car that was used, but still under manufacturer's warrenty and got an extended warrenty ... bc I would rather have that budgeted in car payment, than the unknown expense that might crop up. That is just MY personal outlook and what I am comfortable with though, and it can vary from person to person with no right answer!

I took a loan out through the dealership (which was through a private bank) and then use my student loans to pay that loan (or now that it's summer my job). Rob peter to pay paul I guess. The financial aid budget, created by the school, includes costs for transportation which does allow for a modest car payment ... but I hear that this is different between schools.
 
Thanks for all the advice everyone, especially you alliecat. I think I am going to try and find a car for around 1-2 grand and hopefully just take out a modest loan for it that is seperate from my FA package.
 
Thanks for all the advice everyone, especially you alliecat. I think I am going to try and find a car for around 1-2 grand and hopefully just take out a modest loan for it that is seperate from my FA package.

Sounds like a plan. I wouldn't borrow more than you absolutely have to for the car.

If I hadn't lucked out in a stellar way (husband giving me his paid-off car), I would've drove my used Camry thru all four years at school.

I don't think there's any pot-holes in Kansas... the roads are smooth and not much traffic 😉 I miss driving out there now!