Kaiser Nor Cal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTTD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on doing an externship at either KP San Francisco or the KP Santa Clara/San Leandro.
Any insight as to which one is best for:
Surgical exposure
Clinic exposure
Attending personalities
Also, must I extern at these to be considered for a resident spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly recommend clerking at Kaiser San Fran over Santa Clara. Kaiser SF has top attendings in the profession such as Schuberth, Ford, Patel, Hamilton along with a slew of younger attendings who are well trained that residents work with. It's a very strong program both academically and surgically. I externed there as a student and loved it.

Their clinic is kind of slow but it offers a little bit of everything. You will see a lot of surgery there. Attending personalities are varied but overall it's a very academic program so they are pretty serious but they have fun too.

I didn't personally extern at Santa Clara but I hear it is a good program BUT they seem to be firing or filling a spot the last 1-2 years. Not sure what is going on over there.

Rule of thumb: pretty rare to land a program without externing or at least visiting. Some people do but for the competitive programs you need to extern to be a serious applicant for a spot. Yes there are exceptions...

Thanks! I did hear there is one really good attending at the Santa Clara program in Fremont & San Leandro, but can't remember the name..

Thanks! I did hear there is one really good attending at the Santa Clara program in Fremont & San Leandro, but can't remember the name..

786_l.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)