Kalamazoo Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JkGrocerz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
these folks go all out. they put you up in a five star hotel...very nice...and then provide breakfast the next morning ( very good btw) the program is very well structured, with lots of critical care in the first year. residents are very very laid back and most are married and have kids and thus there is a family atomosphere. If you bring your spouse to the interview they will take them out on the town while you interview. attendings seem very cool and the PD is very very very well known and has amazing connections. from what I understand, if you want to work anywhere in the country, just tell the pd, he'll pick up the phone and get you the job. interviews were all very laid back, with only 1-2 traditional interview questions with the rest just being small talk.

residents rotate at 2 hospitals that cover the entire southwest michigan area....see tons of volume and blunt trauma...not much penetrating around here. peds is seen in the ED and there isnt really any peds em rotation. ed's have very nice facilities as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a review sent to me by a SDN user who interviewed there and wishes to remain anonymous. I am posting it verbatim as a service for the SDN community.

Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies (Kalamazoo, MI)

Pros: Lots of visits between two hospitals (I think they said like 160k visits between the two). Kalamazoo is an underrated college town and a lot of fun. The residents said the program director goes to bat for them all the time.

Cons: Little penetrating trauma (because it’s a pretty safe area). Otherwise I can’t think of any cons.

Impression: This was one of the “hidden gems” I felt like I found on the interview trail. It’s a college town and not a big city, which makes it the only place I interviewed at that my spouse would have a hard time finding a job. Otherwise it’d be in my top few.

Interviewed there last year and thought it was a great program.

Just fyi, if you want to gauge the program's interest in you after the interview: everyone receives an email afterwards thanking you for your visit and talking up the program, but only select applicants have a sentence at the end that states the program thought you were a great match and they would love to have you (and that's sincere, they really do plan to rank you highly).

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a college town and not a big city, which makes it the only place I interviewed at that my spouse would have a hard time finding a job.

I meant to reply to this when it was originally posted, but got distracted. I don't think this is really true. The city of Kalamazoo proper has a population of ~75,000 and the metropolitan area ~325,000 which hardly makes it a college town. It does have a significant college base as Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College are both there, but they don't overwhelm.

Employment wise, healthcare and pharmaceuticals are number one, followed by education. Although Western is the second largest employer in the county (4045), Borgess Medical Center (4201) and Bronson Healthcare Group (3779) are #1 and #3 respectively. There is also a large pharmaceutical and medical equipment industry with Pfizer (3200), Perrigo (3000) and Stryker (2083) all greater than 2000 people.

They do have a unique feature in that if your spouse is seeking employment, they can send their resume to the PD. At faculty meetings, they will pass the resumes around and see if anyone knows of any jobs or contact person that might fit the bill. There have been a few spouses who got jobs in this manner.

This review is by an interviewee who wishes to remain anonymous.

Western Michigan University- Kalamazoo, MI

Overview:
Established program in Kalamazoo, MI. They take 20 per year now, one of the largest programs in the country, if not the largest. They are DO friendly.

City/lifestyle:
Kalamazoo is a college town in the middle of Michigan. It is not a large city by any means, but it does seem to have quite a bit going on. Everyone I talked to seemed to think there was more than enough to keep you occupied there. I remember hearing that the town is big on micro-breweries, and they drove us by several of them during our tour. Obviously if you are looking for a city with a lot of nightlife, this may not be the place for you. I met some residents who had lived their whole lives in Chicago though, and they seemed more than happy living in Kalamazoo.

Pre-interview:
Definitely the nicest hotel that was provided free of charge for all applicants. They put us up in probably the nicest hotel in the downtown area. They really went out of their way from the minute we got there until we left. There was a cocktail hour with appetizers the night before that was in the hotel. This was nice, because you could come and go as you wished. Many residents were there, probably the most out of any place I interviewed, but they also have more residents in their program than anywhere else I interviewed.

Interview day:
They do all of their interviews on weekends. I interviewed on a Sunday, which was a little odd, but they say they did it based off of applicant feedback. The interview day is very long, there is no way around that. You start at 6 am with an optional breakfast in the hotel. It’s not a typical hotel breakfast, there are omelets made to order, fresh fruit, oatmeal, etc. Again, they really go out of their way to provide for applicants. A shuttle took us to their offices where we started the day at 7 am. We started with overviews of the program by the program director and the assistant program director, who is apparently going to be taking over the program in the next year if he hasn’t already. The current PD was going to be taking a position more involved with the new medical school opening there soon. The presentations of the program were a little longer than other places I interviewed at. I had my interviews in the morning. I had one with the PD, the assistant PD, another faculty member, and with 2 residents. Each were about 20 minutes. I did not click well with the assistant PD, I felt like it was my most awkward interview of the whole interview season for me. I thought this was just me, but I had heard others say the same. The rest of the interviews were very laid back though. The PD is a great guy who is very well known throughout programs in the country. After this we had lunch then went on tours of the two hospitals that residents work in. We also drove around the city. They showed us the simulation lab, which was probably the nicest I had seen on the interview trail, and also the EMS truck that the residents drive. I felt bad for the people who had tours in the morning and interviews in the afternoon. They weren’t done until 5 pm or later.

Facilities:
I don’t remember all that much specifically about the two hospitals that the residents work in. They are both very large tertiary care centers and are both level 1 trauma centers. I may have just been very tired by this point in the day. Both hospitals were set up in pod/zone systems if I remember correctly. They are not very far from each other, for anyone who is concerned about driving to two separate hospitals- it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes between them.

Curriculum:
The program is 3 years. 6 months in the ER 1st year, 7 in 2nd year and 10 in 3rd year. They are very ICU heavy. The EM program basically runs the one ICU and it seems that ICU experience is definitely one of the strengths of the program. They are also very involved with EMS. There is a mobile EMS vehicle that residents drive when they are assigned to an EMS shift. They also serve as crew members on the helicopter during 2nd and 3rd year. All in all they seem to have a very solid curriculum with no real weaknesses. One thing that might be weak is penetrating trauma, since not a ton of people are getting shot and stabbed in the area.

Faculty:
Again, the PD is very well known. As I said before, the interview with the assistant PD was awkward. I have no idea if this was just me not knowing him well enough yet, but it was something that stuck with me about the interview day. Everyone else on the faculty seem very accomplished. They mentioned little highlights about all of them during the presentation in the morning. They have several DO’s on their faculty as well.

Shifts:
Shifts are 8 hours, and I believe interns start with 22 per month, and it decreases by the year. I don’t remember what their process is for sign out, or if residents frequently stay later than their assigned shifts. Even though there are tons of residents in the program it seems that there are plenty of patients to go around and no one is ever fighting for procedures.

Didactics:
The thing that stuck out to me about their didactics was their impressive simulation lab. They seem to do a lot with simulation, more so than other programs.

Just curious, does everyone get the email that says they'd be please to have you in July after an interview?

Just curious, does everyone get the email that says they'd be please to have you in July after an interview?

I was wondering about this too. It was sent via ERAS and sounded like a mass email to all who interviewed, but who knows. I guess a better way to ask is...did anyone who interviewed at WMed NOT receive this message?

I went to this program. If anyone is curious about specifics you can PM me. I had a really great experience.

I've lived in the greater Kalamazoo area for several decades, if anyone needs information about the area in general.

I was wondering about this too. It was sent via ERAS and sounded like a mass email to all who interviewed, but who knows. I guess a better way to ask is...did anyone who interviewed at WMed NOT receive this message?
Also wondering... Anyone?

I've been there. Kalamazoo is a pretty boring town. Not even a college town, with nothing to do for a single guy. Only saving grace is its proximity to Chicago, which is only a short train ride away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been there. Kalamazoo is a pretty boring town. Not even a college town, with nothing to do for a single guy. Only saving grace is its proximity to Chicago, which is only a short train ride away

I lived there for a couple of years, and I enjoyed it.

As you can see everyone's going to have a different opinion. It's a great area with plenty to do. With that being said, I'm not a single guy. Different strokes for different folks.

If you have specific questions about the program, I would ask OhBoy since s/he attended the program there. I would only have the perspective as an attending.

Wook

Western Michigan and Kalamazoo College are both in Kalamazoo.

Western Michigan and Kalamazoo College are both in Kalamazoo.

A "college town" and a town with a college are two different things. That being said, I thought the town seemed ok when I interviewed there as a single guy. They seemed to have a good microbrewery scene.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile