Kansas State Vs. Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetgurl2024

Reaction score
Hi! I have been accepted int Kansas Sate, Iowa State, Illinois, and Tufts but they are all out of state programs for me. I did not expect to get into this many and now I am at a loss for how to pick one. The tuition is all pretty similar. Illinois is the only one that would be driveable to my home, the rest would be a flight away.

Right now I am leaning towards Kansas State and Illinois, but honestly I am not sure why. I really want to be happy with my decision - I have been told that students are very happy at both of these schools, especially Kansas State. I am interesting in exotics.

Does anyone have any advice for how to pick, and/or specifics about Illinois vs. Kansas State.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Illinois and waitlisted to K-State back when I was applying and eventually went on to Illinois when I was never called off the K-State waitlist. At the time, if I had been accepted to K-State off the waitlist, I would have chosen to go there for a couple of reasons: 1) closer to my home (7.5 hour drive instead of a 16 hour drive) and 2) a tiny bit cheaper at 5k per year. Not once did I consider curriculum or anything like that when deciding where to apply or where to attend.

You're obviously in the opposite position as far as distance goes, so a couple of things to consider since Manhattan and Champaign are the relatively same level of rural:
- If you are considering flying, remember that flying out of the actual city of Manhattan or Champaign is going to be expensive. I never flew out of Champaign; I always took the bus to Midway in Chicago and flew out there. It was approximately 25% cheaper than flying out of Champaign. The caveat is that it took almost the same amount of time as driving because you have to get a bus time where you arrive in time for your flight without a thin margin of missing your flight. So sometimes I was stuck in Midway for 3-5 hours prior to my flight. Between the drive up to Chicago (2hrs), the wait (5hrs), the flight to Denver (2hrs), you're at a 9 or 10hr adventure. Driving took 6 hours longer, but was also 50% cheaper in gas compared to flying. So if you want to consider Manhattan, actually see what it's like to fly from Manhattan vs Kansas City vs driving home.
- Travel will be affected by weather at both schools because #midwestlife. My longest drive between Champaign and Denver was 26 hours because of blizzards between Denver and Champaign in addition to my car breaking down 23 miles from my parents' house. Likewise, I missed my first day of rotations because of flight delays from Denver to Chicago, so then I had to rearrange my flight to Chicago and my bus ticket down to Champaign.

AAVMC Public Data says that K-State is 5k-ish cheaper per year. Keep in mind that's at a ~7% interest rate, which starts the minute you take the money. That's $9.91 in interest *per day* according to my excel sheet. And then it gets compounded when you graduate, so then you start accruing the 7% interest on the interest you've already accrued. So that 5k more expensive tuition is actually $8,617.15 more expensive per year, or approximately an extra $34,468.60 by the time you graduate. It's up to you to know if you can offset that $34k to make the extra tuition (essentially the cost of an additional semester) and resulting interest at Illinois more worthwhile.

As far as my time at Illinois, I loved it. I didn't go in thinking I would do any specific type of medicine, so I did a ton of different things including the wildlife clinic, equine emergency team, ICU shifts, etc. The exotics program is pretty strong at UIUC with multiple people from 2019-2021 currently in various residencies for exotics/zoo medicine. I don't regret going to Illinois, but I also inherited a life insurance policy that paid for several years of school from the outset, and then paid for the interest from the years before the policy became mine. I'm dealing with less debt than I would have had I gone to my in-state school. I'm still paying $1200/month on the ten year plan (throwing in an extra 100/month, which will pay it off in 9 years instead). I felt truly supported at the school through various negative life events. I loved my class and probably 95% of the professors.

ETA: my math is actually incorrect. I'm underestimating the amount of interest you will owe because I just accounted for the accrued interest for the loans for just first year; I didn't do the math for the 2nd-4th year loans. So the difference will actually be *larger* than 34k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Flip a coin. If you’re a little disappointed by the outcome, accept your seat at the other.

I think Bats has done a good job discussing both options. I don’t think there’s really a wrong choice; your education at either will be fine. When you’re at the stage of life you’re currently at, school choice seems like such a big decision. And I’m not trying to downplay the accomplishment or say it isn’t an important choice, but when you’re on the other side and graduated, you realize that vet school is a short four years in the journey of being a vet for forever. If they’re similar costs I don’t think you can make a bad decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year K-State student here! Have you taken a tour of our school yet? We offer virtual tours as well if you don't want to fly in, but I highly recommend it if you have not yet. If you're interested in Exotics, we have a great exotics program here and a great department in the hospital. They work closely with the Manhattan Sunset zoo and two other zoos in Kansas as well. A group of students in my class have also gone to South Africa for a wildlife/exotics program, so if that's something that interests you I can get you the contact information and the people are very nice and love the Kansas State students.

I do not have any experience with either school, but I will say I’ve have only heard amazing things about Kansas State from the veterinarians I’ve worked with and current vet students I’ve spoken to