Kaplan and Pearson Test worth it

Started by BH07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BH07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to know if the Kaplan book and the three Pearson tests are sufficient for the PCAT. I feel confident on the verbal, writing, and biology section.

But I feel the Kaplan book is not sufficient for math and I am not sure if the chemistry section on the Kaplan is good for prep. I understand the problems but I am worried that the actual PCAT will be much different.

A lot of ppl say Dr Collins is worth it but I am really short on money (325 is too much for me right now). Can i still do well without the Dr Collins study material?

For anybody that took the actual PCAT did the Kaplan book a lot?

Any recommendations would be appreciate as well as other books
 
Pearson tests were definitely worth it for me.

kaplan was lacking in math. You definitely need a different reference for math, whether it is an old Calculus text, or something... I took Calc many years ago and had pretty much forgotten everything and I had time only for Kaplan, and Quant killed me. I will be surprised if I get more than a 60 on the quant section.

I think it was fairly comprehensive for gen chem and gen bio. I did not need to review the verbal/RC so I cannot comment on those sections.

I'd comb through here and see what Math and Org Chem study tips people have besides the Dr. Collins if you cannot afford it. I think for the verbal/RC people have suggested GRE prep stuff? You need to be confident in your college-level vocabulary for verbal. Verbal is about half analogies I think (which I love to do) so if you are weak with those, I would look up study tips for analogy tests.