Kaplan book or Kaplan class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyyangyang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) this is my third year at stony brook, i plant to take the dat in June or July, i also want to take the kaplan class during the summer if my first dat score is not so hight and then take another one at the end of August, and appy for dental school in September. i start reveiw in during the winter break, and then i have about 4 months to review. but do u think that is enough for an average student to prepare the Dat and get some good grade on the dat? also, i am not sure the Kaplan class. the regular Kaplan class costs about at least $1300 for 52 hours, i have that moeny, but i am from immigrant family, we have some finacial problem, i dont know wheter the money is worthy to spend or not. does any body take the Kaplan class before? what do they teach in the regular kaplan class? how is the private tutoring class(which is about $2300 for about 15 hourse ):confused: ? do u think what they teach in the class can improve the dat score for an anverage student? but how much do they improve? if just a little, why don't i do that by self hard working. i guess most the books such as Kaplan, destroyer they provide a lot of exercise, but they seem don't provide some strategies for how to take the Dat. Base from my previous experience such taking tofel, i use the princetion review which don't just provide exercie, but it also focus on the strategy about how to take the exam. where can i find that kind of book? do u think the Kaplan book + top score(the computer disc) is enoug materials for an average student to review?
do u think people who has research expericen has more advantage than people who don't have? thanks a lot. god bless all the replier will get into dental school !!!:thumbup:
btw, i am a non-native speaker.

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken the kapalan class and I think it's the biggest waste of money. I think most share my opinion. Use that money to buy good study aids such as the kaplan blue book, destroyer and achiever.

I have taken the kapalan class and I think it's the biggest waste of money. I think most share my opinion. Use that money to buy good study aids such as the kaplan blue book, destroyer and achiever.

I second this opinion. There is nothing that they can teach you that you can't get out of the book.

I have tons of DAT material that I am willing to sell. PM me if your interested. I took the Kaplan class :(

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE $1200 ! ! !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I read your thread about the Kaplan course. I have heard that it's a "HUGE" waste of money. I am planning on taking the DAT in April 2007 may push it to July, 2007. I am VERY weak in Sciences and math as most everyone else seems too be. I been out of school 6 years have Organic II to take left in Jan, 2007. I have got all the material that everyone has suggested from the threads. Achiever, Top Score, Destoryer (on its way!) issues with Fedex right now grrrrr. I have the Kaplan blue book and the Schaum bio, chem, ochem ... books Oh, yes the GRE for math. I think I have covered it all ... But, everyone says, flashcards? what do you think ... and now I have all these material where to begin SO overwhelming!

Memphis, TN

hmm...so you guys really though the Kaplan DAT classes were a waste? interesting....I have been a Kaplan DAT & SAT teacher for the last few years (although i significantly cut down my class loads after dental school started). I also took the Kaplan course when i was studying for my DATs, and if you actuallu utilize all the matieral that is available to you, you will do fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to take the class...doesn't matter to me at all, but i'm just letting you know that there are alot of materials available only to people who take the class, such as old exams, simulated computer exams, score breakdowns, etc. Its helpful, but I would also suppliment the class with additional books. Put about a month or two of hard-core studying in, and you'll rock it. :thumbup:

I really do think kaplan is a waste of money. My instructor did not even take the dat and english was not his first language. The materials are good, but you can find similar material without the 1000+ price tag.

Don't take the class. It truly is a waste. The material, on the other hand, is not bad at all.

I would also encourage you to talk to Dr. Romano - DAT Destroyer is excellent.

Best of Luck!

if you do decide to take the class, make sure the instructor has taken the DATs, and preferably is a dental student or someone who has been accepted to dental school.

however, the exams that they have are helpful...since you can't really get them else where (*ahem*...unless...u pm me...for those who are interested...*ahem*) ;)