gregarious

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Are the Kaplan Books that you can buy at the Kaplan store ($449) the same books you get if you take the USMLE Step 1 prep class through Kaplan?

vtrain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
The other side of no where
Visit site
Status
No - the one you buy is the 4 volume set home study. the ones in lecture is the 8 vol set incl qbook. the material is essentially the same but i think the 8 set is less detailed b/c they expect you to annotate along with the lecturers. however, i think the homestudy is too detailed and the 8 set is good enough - even without the lectures (exp biochem - that book is GOLD)

I agree. I bought the Kaplan 8 book class set off of someone and found that the Biochem book was the one I liked the best. The others are so-so but I think that one at least does a great job of covering relevant material while leaving out the crap.

OP
G

gregarious

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
vtrain said:
No - the one you buy is the 4 volume set home study. the ones in lecture is the 8 vol set incl qbook. the material is essentially the same but i think the 8 set is less detailed b/c they expect you to annotate along with the lecturers. however, i think the homestudy is too detailed and the 8 set is good enough - even without the lectures (exp biochem - that book is GOLD)

A better question is: Someone advised me to use the Kaplan Books to prepare for miniboards as an M-1. Found used 4 vol set online. Did not find 8 vol set. Will 4 vol. set work?

About the Ads