Kaplan class Bio and Organic

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by meeginvee, Sep 3, 2014.

1. meeginvee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,

I am planning to take the DAT in 2014, and I am enrolled in the Kaplan class. For those of you who have taken the test recently and who took the Kaplan course, if I just study Kaplan materials thoroughly for Bio and Organic, will I be well prepared for those sections?

I ask this because there is so much information to know in these subjects and different sources have more/less information. Also, I have not been in school for awhile so I don't have any added knowledge from a class I may have just taken.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. baywatch123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i recently took it and it's a little too basic, i think it will get you the minimum scores, but not stellar scores. but i do have to say the practice subject tests that they provide you are good learning resources. i actually supplemented them with my destroyer and chad's videos.

my DAT scores weren't amazing, but I can at least say that the materials i used were quite similar to what you will see on the organic chem section. the bio section was a little weird. but you can expect that since it's such a broad topic

4. meeginvee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What do you mean the Bio was weird? Does Kaplan cover Bio thoroughly?

Also, should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

5. baywatch123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    the bio was weird in the sense that some questions weren't straight memorization questions. it was more applications questions. If you're a bio/science major you should be fine with felralis' notes, destroyer books and the kaplan course. i plan on buying bootcamp to practice those questions for my next DAT. i don't know much about odessey, i have never tried it. i used chad's and class notes for ORGO and CHEM. but again, i will be using more resources to prepare for my next exam. i have already purchased CDP "ace" edition since it's unlmited and i can use it whenever i want - which is beneficial since i will be doing one more year of undergrad.

so it's really just how much practice you need. and i feel that if i do more practice tests i wil do much better

6. meeginvee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok thank you!

7. meeginvee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    And if anyone else has their opinions and suggestions, please feel free to share. Thank you very much!

8. Dotoday

7+ Year Member

Start with Kaplan, Cliffs, Destroyer, Odyssey and Feralis. Get through those. Then, see how you feel.

9. meeginvee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What if I use Chad's instead of Odyssey? Which one do you think is more comprehensive for Organic? And for Bio, if I were to choose Cliffs or Feralis, which is more comprehensive? (Just so I'm not studying Bio from 3 sources)