Kaplan class Bio and Organic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeginvee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to take the DAT in 2014, and I am enrolled in the Kaplan class. For those of you who have taken the test recently and who took the Kaplan course, if I just study Kaplan materials thoroughly for Bio and Organic, will I be well prepared for those sections?

I ask this because there is so much information to know in these subjects and different sources have more/less information. Also, I have not been in school for awhile so I don't have any added knowledge from a class I may have just taken.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i recently took it and it's a little too basic, i think it will get you the minimum scores, but not stellar scores. but i do have to say the practice subject tests that they provide you are good learning resources. i actually supplemented them with my destroyer and chad's videos.

my DAT scores weren't amazing, but I can at least say that the materials i used were quite similar to what you will see on the organic chem section. the bio section was a little weird. but you can expect that since it's such a broad topic

What do you mean the Bio was weird? Does Kaplan cover Bio thoroughly?

Also, should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

What do you mean the Bio was weird? Does Kaplan cover Bio thoroughly?

Also, should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

the bio was weird in the sense that some questions weren't straight memorization questions. it was more applications questions. If you're a bio/science major you should be fine with felralis' notes, destroyer books and the kaplan course. i plan on buying bootcamp to practice those questions for my next DAT. i don't know much about odessey, i have never tried it. i used chad's and class notes for ORGO and CHEM. but again, i will be using more resources to prepare for my next exam. i have already purchased CDP "ace" edition since it's unlmited and i can use it whenever i want - which is beneficial since i will be doing one more year of undergrad.

so it's really just how much practice you need. and i feel that if i do more practice tests i wil do much better

Members don't see this ad :)
And if anyone else has their opinions and suggestions, please feel free to share. Thank you very much!

Start with Kaplan, Cliffs, Destroyer, Odyssey and Feralis. Get through those. Then, see how you feel.

What if I use Chad's instead of Odyssey? Which one do you think is more comprehensive for Organic? And for Bio, if I were to choose Cliffs or Feralis, which is more comprehensive? (Just so I'm not studying Bio from 3 sources)