Kaplan class too much to study with other materials??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suhshi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i went to talk to the kaplan lady who was very nice to give me her opinion on studyin with the other materials (Destroyer, CRACK, cliffs ap bio, topscore, achiever...)
and she said i wouldnt have enough time to study these other materials because of the large amount of online materials??

this is kinda discouraging me bc i feel as if we need the other materials to excel in the DAT

could i get any others' opinions

i have 3 months to study
and im taking the class during the 2nd month

DAT in sept

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

She is wrong, she is only saying that because she doesnt want to give you the impression that the kaplan class you just paid over a thousand $ for isnt enough

The truth is, its not enough. I took it myself and it was well worth the money I believe, BUT..theres no single source that is the holy grail

(of course there are some people who get 20s with just kaplan)

But you def have enough time to use all of those materials and you should

I would just say that besides reading cliffs, I would save all that stuff for after kaplan course ends, because kaplan is good for a comeplete fresher to get you into the zone so to speak

ps i just read your taking your kaplan course in the 2nd of your 3 months, so maybe you want to open up destroyer also, but I would save topscore and achiever for after your kaplan exams, because kaplans are easier

I took kaplan online myself and found out that at least a month is needed to finish every material (including workshops and quizzes) kaplan online offers online. You would probably need to study the white book also, so it would probably take about two months to study kaplan material fully. I think you need to study about 8 hours a day though. After two months of doing kaplan stuff, I think you can do destroyer, cdp, and cdm. Save top score till the end, since it's close to the real test.

thanks for the input
im jus worried that the class will swamp me with too much material and i wont have time to do hyperlearning or cdm and cdp

Don't believe whatever you hear from the KAPLAN people. The nice "Kaplan Lady" you spoke to is a sales person, who is there to push KAPLAN products. By no means studying KAPLAN material alone will get you a score higher than 19-20 (At least in my opinion). This is specially true, if you haven't seen most of this material for quite some time and you need a good review, before things start making sense.
I'll give you an example. KAPLAN bio only gives you a general overview of some of the topics, and even then, they don't bother to explain some of the most important details that you WILL see on the real exam. It's a great book if you want to get a general idea of the concepts you need to know for the test, but if you're planing to get 20+ on your bio you need to know much more details. Another example, is KAPLAN's O-chem, which only provides you with a fraction of the reactions you need for the real exam. Limit yourself to KAPLAN's reactions and I can almost guarantee your O-chem score won't exceed 20.
So, you get the point. KAPLAN is great to get you going, but it is not sufficient if you want to earn a competitive score.

Good Luck:thumbup: