Kaplan Classes for the PCAT

Started by Shrav
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shrav

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all....

Was thinking of retaking the PCAT in Jan but also am confused about the kaplan classes that are offered....are those really effective and do they boost up your score..(im expecting somewhere near a 60-70th percentile on the Oct PCAT) or would a good 3 months of practice really pull up that score.???

Thanks in advance
Cheers
 
Buy the book from a bookstore,get a hold of some practice tests, set yourself a study schedule, & you should be good to go! 😉

Oh and to answer ur question, it varies from person to person. It all really depends on how much background knowledge you already have from high school & undergrad, & how much you absorb from the course.
 
just get the Kaplan Lesson book from someone who has taken the Kaplan class.. thier flash card can help you get some concept clear.....i have all the tests and the material from the kaplan class(brand new).....for bio you should definitely try examcracker and cliffs....kaplan and cliffs practise test are more than enough for math section...
 
Hey all....

Was thinking of retaking the PCAT in Jan but also am confused about the kaplan classes that are offered....are those really effective and do they boost up your score..(im expecting somewhere near a 60-70th percentile on the Oct PCAT) or would a good 3 months of practice really pull up that score.???

Thanks in advance
Cheers

I got a lovely terrible score of 70% and was advised by a dean of admissions not to pay 1200$ for a stupid class. I was going to do the online class, but if I retake the PCAT in January I probably will just use the Kaplan book. Too much money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Buy the book from a bookstore,get a hold of some practice tests, set yourself a study schedule, & you should be good to go! 😉

Oh and to answer ur question, it varies from person to person. It all really depends on how much background knowledge you already have from high school & undergrad, & how much you absorb from the course.

Thanks on that one....PCAT classes for me weren't the greatest option...Bio on the Kaplan book is wayyyyyyy off from what I saw on the PCAT....but that being said the book was pretty good on all the other sections as well.....thanks for the advice guys...as for background....I really did not do well in O-chem 1 and 2 in High School (im an international student) because frankly speaking...it all was wayy too fast for me to grasp at that time...jumping from general chem to O-chem in 1 year.....not the best situation......pre-reqs wise....I was just starting with O-chem when I gave the PCAT....i really want to see how it is once im done with O-chem 1..and if it would make a diff.....
 
People usually say that Kaplan is the hardest of all the prep books, but for me it wasn't the case. I did very well on all of their tests and felt pretty confident when I went to take the exam, but the real test was a different story.

Verbal - The questions in the Kaplan book were way easier than those on the real test.
Biology - Kaplan focuses more on concepts, while the real test more on practical questions.
Chemistry - The only section that Kaplan did a terrific job.
Reading - About the same difficulty I guess.
Math - Kaplan is too easy. The real test is a killer. Ran out of time and had to guess.

I'm still waiting for my October result, but I'm going to be really pissed if my score does not match up with my Kaplan score.
 
People usually say that Kaplan is the hardest of all the prep books, but for me it wasn't the case. I did very well on all of their tests and felt pretty confident when I went to take the exam, but the real test was a different story.

Verbal - The questions in the Kaplan book were way easier than those on the real test.
Biology - Kaplan focuses more on concepts, while the real test more on practical questions.
Chemistry - The only section that Kaplan did a terrific job.
Reading - About the same difficulty I guess.
Math - Kaplan is too easy. The real test is a killer. Ran out of time and had to guess.

I'm still waiting for my October result, but I'm going to be really pissed if my score does not match up with my Kaplan score.


what was ur kaplan score?