Kaplan Classes

Started by Orchid716
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Orchid716

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys!

For those who took the Kaplan Classes, I was wondering if they were helpful or not? I took the PCATs last June but I studied out of the book and I didn't do too well. So I'm retaking them in October and I was wondering whether it was worth it to take the classes or just study out of books?

Thanks!!
 
Hey Guys!

For those who took the Kaplan Classes, I was wondering if they were helpful or not? I took the PCATs last June but I studied out of the book and I didn't do too well. So I'm retaking them in October and I was wondering whether it was worth it to take the classes or just study out of books?

Thanks!!

I took the class and honestly am not sure the help I got was worth the tuition. My composite was the same as on the diagnostic - my individual scores fluctuated though. I did learn some helpful tips from Kaplan, like how to evaluate analogy bridges, the Kaplan method for reading comp, etc. Their chem review was stellar, that helped me the most for sure. Bio was always my strong suit, so I didn't learn much from Kaplan - but again, that's my best subject anyway so it doesn't mean Kaplan was bad or anything. Quant is just weird, and I messed it up on the PCAT for a completely unrelated reason.

All in all, hard to evaluate ... you might want to try the books first.
 
Do you need the structure of the class? Some people procrastinate too much and they need the class to keep them on task. If you think you can get by with studying on your own but maybe need better materials, some people have had good success with Dr. Collins. It is quite a bit cheaper.

I don't have experience with either so I can't say if one is better than the other but I just thought I'd throw that out there to give you something else to consider. There is a Dr. Collins thread here that you might want to check out.
 
Do you need the structure of the class? Some people procrastinate too much and they need the class to keep them on task. If you think you can get by with studying on your own but maybe need better materials, some people have had good success with Dr. Collins. It is quite a bit cheaper.

I don't have experience with either so I can't say if one is better than the other but I just thought I'd throw that out there to give you something else to consider. There is a Dr. Collins thread here that you might want to check out.

I'll give it to them that they had good structure. I for one, don't need it, but it is helpful to some.
If you do better with someone teaching you in a class setting, kaplan might be for you. I'm a self learner, so I skipped my kaplan classes, did the online stuff and studied on my own.