Kaplan Course for OAT

NCrisLB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started studying for the OAT and am considering taking the Kaplan course. However, I am undecided whether or not to take the course online or in class. For those who have taken the course or are currently taking the course, What do you suggest??? What are the pros and cons of online and in class? Any tips and suggestions on the course AND best/helpful ways to study for the exam are very welcomed!!! Thank you everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my kaplan online course about 2 weeks ago and I don't seem to be having any problems with it. Although there have been times where I don't understand stuff which causes me to do a lot of research on trying to figure it out which wastes some time. But if I had the option on whether or not to take the online vs in class, I would take it in the class room just because you have a teacher there in case you have questions. The only reason I didn't do that was because it didn't fit my schedule. But I am pretty content with the online course. Just depends on what type of learner you are I guess.

Hi AzOpt89.... thank you for sharing your experience. I have the same issue, it'll be tough for me to attend the on-site sections, though I would rather be in class (i usually ask alot of questions). i spoke to someone from kaplan and she mentioned that you can always email/contact the teacher if you have questions while taking the course online.. have you had any issues or problems reaching out to your teacher throug email?

Hi AzOpt89.... thank you for sharing your experience. I have the same issue, it'll be tough for me to attend the on-site sections, though I would rather be in class (i usually ask alot of questions). i spoke to someone from kaplan and she mentioned that you can always email/contact the teacher if you have questions while taking the course online.. have you had any issues or problems reaching out to your teacher throug email?

NCrisLB,

I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that I can answer any questions for you. I was a student at Kaplan and then began teaching for them. I took the classroom when I was a student but I have taught both classroom and online numerous times now. Your main concern seems to be about online and I can't tell you how happy people seem to be with it!

One of the greatest things about the online experience is that during every class you have not only an instructor but you have a teaching assistant as well. So any questions you might have you have not one but two people available to ask! As far as emails go, any questions you may have we really pride ourselves in getting back to our students the information they need as quickly as possible!

PM if you have more questions!

Patrick

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the classroom course and found it to be extremely helpful. It helped me decide what information was the most important to study and really work hard on those subjects so I could yield the most points on the test. I do hear good things about the online courses too. From what I was told before I took the test, the best of the best teach the online courses because they can choose from all of the instructors in the US instead of just those that are in your area. Either way, I know the instructors have to be highly qualified so they're all good, but that's just what I was told. All in all though, I took the test once and got a AA/TS of 290/290 and after the class I got a 330/320, so I highly recommend it!

I just started studying for the OAT and am considering taking the Kaplan course. However, I am undecided whether or not to take the course online or in class. For those who have taken the course or are currently taking the course, What do you suggest??? What are the pros and cons of online and in class? Any tips and suggestions on the course AND best/helpful ways to study for the exam are very welcomed!!! Thank you everyone!!!

I'm glad the rest of you had good luck with the Kaplan class but it didn't help me. I solely used the course from May 11-Aug 4. Spent about 9-10 hours a day reading, taking notes, doing online quizzes/tests, everything and more than they recommended. Took the test feeling great.. got my results and not so happy. The second time I took the OAT, I studied May 25-July 12 using OAT Achiever, OAT Destroyer, general science textbooks from college, and other practice tests I could find and my score jumped. To each their own.

I can't tell you whether Kaplan would have boosted my scores or not, but I can tell you about my experiences with Kaplan and my overall impression based on my discussions with people who have actually taken the class.

Before I even cracked open a review book or took a quick peek at old class notes, I attended a free Kaplan practice test on my college campus. I was only one of two people taking a practice test, so I was able to pick the brain of the person administering the test. She was a pre-dental student who had aced the DAT after going through a Kaplan course. She told us all about how she didn't know what she would have done without it, and how there was no better way to make sure you are prepared for everything. She also said that Kaplan teaches you a few "secret strategies" to getting the right answer without knowing it. Then, test time. No surprise, I spent the next few hours in a panic and turned in my test feeling horrible about my performance. She went through a few problems with us to show us how Kaplan would teach us to think, which was kind of an anti-climax for me; I was already thinking that way. Once we turned in the test, she told us we could get $300 off the class if we signed up that day. They were very inflexible about giving an extension so that we could sleep on it. I didn't have the money so I couldn't get the course.

I spent the next few days stressing until I got my scores from them: AA of 290. I was completely bummed out and was regretting not signing up for the class. Those "secret strategies" and expert tips and tricks would have been really handy. But, when I got out for winter break a few weeks later, I just hunkered down with some AP review books, class notes, and a skinny Kaplan OAT book and in 3 weeks I was able to bring my real score up to an AA of 350.

I've talked to quite a few people who swear by the Kaplan course, but I really don't think you need it. Their materials are GREAT - I absolutely loved the Kaplan practice test book (about $20). $20 is much better than their class fees! The way I see it, if I was able to improve so much on my own in just 3 weeks, I think I could have done even better if I had invested the amount of time it takes to get through a Kaplan class. Granted, the Kaplan course doesn't include 6 hours of studying a day like my 3-week cram fest did, but you get my point. I really felt like the people admisnistering the practice test at my college were trying to capitzalize on my post-test freak-out session. I can't blame them - that's business! But they make you feel like you need it and you really don't.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm completely against the course. In fact, if I had the time and money I would have taken it myself. But I just want to emphasize that it is possible to do it on your own and that there really aren't any secret strategies that you haven't learned in your years at college and while taking the SAT. What's more, it REALLY depends on what kind of score you need on the OAT. If you have a stellar GPA and application, you might just want to get through the OAT without bombing too bad. If you are counting on the OAT to toughen up your application, maybe Kaplan would be more worth it.

OK, sorry for rambling! I just remember that feeling of panic about not taking Kaplan and I don't want anyone else going through it!