-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
kaplan course
Started by jregan
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Personally, I feel that you don't need to pay that much money to kaplan. PCAT is no MCAT by any means, it's much easier and you can easily prepare for it on your own. There's no guarantee that you will score 95+ after taking kaplan's. It also depends on how well you perform on standardized testing. I studied for about a month using barron's and kaplan prep books and did fairly well.
jregan said:Has anyone taken the Kaplan PCAT preparation course? Its like 1,000 dollars, If im gonna pay that I better get a 99 on the PCAT. 😉
i took kaplan and got a 94.and i'll settle.
but i dont think its really necessary...it was definitely a good review but they totally overprepare you. they teach you all of this extra stuff. but it's helpful when you're like me and need something to force you to study-- for me it was the $1000....and my hot kaplan instructor.
i really don't think that kaplan had the slightest clue about what was on the PCATs. they gave us the wrong format (like length of time and number of questions). and kind of didn't teach certain material that was on the test. its just like everything else where everyone assumes that all prehealth constructions follow that of premed.
I was hired to teach Kaplan and quit after 2 weeks of training.
Is really up to the teacher you get, to give you good quality training.
I don't have the time they demanded to become and instructor, and they don't pay very much, you end up working a ton of free hours.
I would have done it If I needed the experience and had the time. ( I would have done it if I was fresh out of school)
I felt I was going to give a lot of my good qualities (like being conscientious) for very cheap, to a huge moneymaker: Kaplan.
They will focus on a certain way of answering questions. If you don't like it, and feel you know the best way that works for you, TOUGH, they don't guarantee their money back.
You have to solve problems exactly as they say.
You end up spending a long time on the HOW to, not on the material on the test.
The actual material you end up doing as homework on your own.
There is not time in class to go over everything. I felt extremely rushed!
I am sorry! I personally feel too much like they are scamming me...
But it seems to have worked for some students.... If you like a lot of structure and being spoon-fed answering techniques go for it, but find out how much experience the instructor has...
Is really up to the teacher you get, to give you good quality training.
I don't have the time they demanded to become and instructor, and they don't pay very much, you end up working a ton of free hours.
I would have done it If I needed the experience and had the time. ( I would have done it if I was fresh out of school)
I felt I was going to give a lot of my good qualities (like being conscientious) for very cheap, to a huge moneymaker: Kaplan.
They will focus on a certain way of answering questions. If you don't like it, and feel you know the best way that works for you, TOUGH, they don't guarantee their money back.
You have to solve problems exactly as they say.
You end up spending a long time on the HOW to, not on the material on the test.
The actual material you end up doing as homework on your own.
There is not time in class to go over everything. I felt extremely rushed!
I am sorry! I personally feel too much like they are scamming me...
But it seems to have worked for some students.... If you like a lot of structure and being spoon-fed answering techniques go for it, but find out how much experience the instructor has...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
usi said:I was hired to teach Kaplan and quit after 2 weeks of training.
Is really up to the teacher you get, to give you good quality training.
I don't have the time they demanded to become and instructor, and they don't pay very much, you end up working a ton of free hours.
I would have done it If I needed the experience and had the time. ( I would have done it if I was fresh out of school)
I felt I was going to give a lot of my good qualities (like being conscientious) for very cheap, to a huge moneymaker: Kaplan.
They will focus on a certain way of answering questions. If you don't like it, and feel you know the best way that works for you, TOUGH, they don't guarantee their money back.
You have to solve problems exactly as they say.
You end up spending a long time on the HOW to, not on the material on the test.
The actual material you end up doing as homework on your own.
There is not time in class to go over everything. I felt extremely rushed!
I am sorry! I personally feel too much like they are scamming me...
But it seems to have worked for some students.... If you like a lot of structure and being spoon-fed answering techniques go for it, but find out how much experience the instructor has...
I understand if you didnt want to teach due to time constraints, however, dont pretend to speak intellectually about a program you quit after the first session. If you want to justify your decision to quit to yourself that is fine, but dont slam Kaplans method to others. I work for Kaplan and completed the teaching certification in March and have picked up my first class already and would probably agree with you if I had quit after my first session too. I agree with you that some people are able to just study on their own and do well (I for one did just that). However, not all good students excel at standardized tests. This is the type of student that Kaplan can help the most. The reason technique is pushed so much is that it provides structure and saves time. By the end of a Kaplan program every type of question that could possibly be on the test has been addressed. This gives the student confidence which translates to higher test scores. I am not saying that the only correct way is the Kaplan way, but for those students who have tried on their own and are not making the scores that they want/need Kaplan can help. There are many ways to get from point A to point B, but the fastest way is a straight line. Kaplan spends millions in test research to find that line and teach it to their students. For example, all of us have sat in a math class and had that one student that did everything different but still got the highest grade in the class. They would raise their hand and confuse the rest of the class by asking the teacher if their way would work. Not everyone understands that way Usi. It may have worked for you and I, but dont discourage those that dont see it your way.
Thanks everyone for your imput. I will probably still take the course, the way I see it if there is any possibility that it might improve my PCAT, therefore my chances of acceptance, its worth it. My father has already agreed to pay for the course and its not like taking the course could hurt any even if it doesn't help. Well thanks again for all your comments
Amith said:Personally, I feel that you don't need to pay that much money to kaplan. PCAT is no MCAT by any means, it's much easier and you can easily prepare for it on your own. There's no guarantee that you will score 95+ after taking kaplan's. It also depends on how well you perform on standardized testing. I studied for about a month using barron's and kaplan prep books and did fairly well.
Not even in the same LEAGUE as the MCAT. The testing strategies are helpful for the MCAT but all you need to get ready for the PCAT is the book. You'll get the same materials in your $1000 class as you will if you buy the Kaplan book ($45). I guess money isn't the issue, since your dad is paying for it, but it will still be a waste of your time. Unless you are not disciplined enough to study on your own, it's not worth it.
i took kaplan and improved my pcat 15 pts! Still overpriced though
We have a PCAT forum... 😉 Moving this to the correct forum.
I repeat: it seems to have worked for some students.... If you like a lot of structure and being spoon-fed answering techniques go for it, but find out how much experience the instructor has...Rx_of_Music said:I understand if you didnt want to teach due to time constraints, however, dont pretend to speak intellectually about a program you quit after the first session. If you want to justify your decision to quit to yourself that is fine, but dont slam Kaplans method to others. I work for Kaplan and completed the teaching certification in March and have picked up my first class already and would probably agree with you if I had quit after my first session too. I agree with you that some people are able to just study on their own and do well (I for one did just that). However, not all good students excel at standardized tests. This is the type of student that Kaplan can help the most. The reason technique is pushed so much is that it provides structure and saves time. By the end of a Kaplan program every type of question that could possibly be on the test has been addressed. This gives the student confidence which translates to higher test scores. I am not saying that the only correct way is the Kaplan way, but for those students who have tried on their own and are not making the scores that they want/need Kaplan can help. There are many ways to get from point A to point B, but the fastest way is a straight line. Kaplan spends millions in test research to find that line and teach it to their students. For example, all of us have sat in a math class and had that one student that did everything different but still got the highest grade in the class. They would raise their hand and confuse the rest of the class by asking the teacher if their way would work. Not everyone understands that way Usi. It may have worked for you and I, but dont discourage those that dont see it your way.
Therefore: I am not discouraging everyone.
The fact that I felt that they were scamming me is my, and only mine, personal opinion.
Chill, I am happy you like being a Kaplan instructor, which means that you are probably be a good candidate to become a great teacher for their method.
I did not buy into it, so it was best for me to get out.
Oh, yeah, they spend millions on research, is that why they don't pay you that much?
Don't get so defensive. People can make up their own minds, I wanted to express my sincere opinion.
I am glad they think they have the best way, I am glad you think they have the best way. I know there are many ways...I can't be so didactic.
jregan said:Has anyone taken the Kaplan PCAT preparation course? Its like 1,000 dollars, If im gonna pay that I better get a 99 on the PCAT. 😉
A friend of mine took that class and only got a 31 😱