Kaplan Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PD3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

After all I have read the last few weeks I am reconsidering my decision to purchase the Kaplan online class and materials. I plan on taking the DAT at the end of August and will be taking orgo 1 and 2 over the summer (fun, I know). At this point I am wondering if I should just give the Kaplan blue book a shot and then supplement with schaums, DAT Achiever, and DAT Destroyer.

What are people's honest thoughts that have taken it recently. I don't want to waste $1100 if it is not going to be enough.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i've taken the course, which is $200 more, you get the kaplan review book which is the same as the blue book and a lesson book you work on during the lectures. You also get computer work which is probably the same thing you would be getting just with the computer based class too. I think that taking the kaplan courses keeps you knowing what to study and it's also good keep you studying and the instructor is very helpful and can answer any questions you may have. I think the class would be better. However Kaplan is not enough, it is good to supplement your studies with Schaums, Bio textbook (Campbells), chem textbooks. As far as practice tests are concerned, start with Kaplan practice and then move onto more difficult ones like Topscore, Achiever..I haven't personally gotten to Topscore or Achiever yet but will soon as they are very well much like the actual DAT.

I am also planning on getting DAT Destroyer which is suppose to be very good with detailed material and questions. This is after you have a general base with your biology, chem, ochem, and math.

Let me preface my comments with the following. I haven't taken the DAT yet. I'm scheduled to take it June 30th. I am currently taking the Kaplan course and believe it maps out a good study plan...BUT after spending $1300, I believe this could have been easily accomplished on my own. The previous poster was correct: the blue book is identical <chapters are rearranged> to the one you get with the course. The instructors have been good, but have offered nothing miraculous regarding study tips or techniques.

Bottom line: Information contained in the course is available in the Blue Book that you can get on Amazon. The sample tests that are offered with the course are valuable, but programs such as Top Score and Achiever can provide you with simulated DAT experience as well. I also purchased the Destroyer and have just begun working it. Dr. Romano and Nancy are great to work with and are both very helpful. Shaum's bio contains better detail on the bio than kaplan will provide, and should be considered as supplemental material. Ultimately, I think you may find that the Kaplan Blue book or the course is just not enough. Good luck.

Hello all,

After all I have read the last few weeks I am reconsidering my decision to purchase the Kaplan online class and materials. I plan on taking the DAT at the end of August and will be taking orgo 1 and 2 over the summer (fun, I know). At this point I am wondering if I should just give the Kaplan blue book a shot and then supplement with schaums, DAT Achiever, and DAT Destroyer.

What are people's honest thoughts that have taken it recently. I don't want to waste $1100 if it is not going to be enough.

Thanks.

i think u r too smart to take Kaplan. Maybe u should try DAT destroyer instead.

by the way, u haven't taken the Ochem yet? I don't know if 2~3 months are enough for Ochem beginniner to master it and take DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ochem is definately a worry of mine, but I don't have much of a choice. This summer is not going to be too much fun!

I took the Kaplan in-class course. My teacher was awesome and it definitely provided a great basis upon which to study. I felt for me that one of the most helpful aspects was that I spent 1300 of my own graduation money on that class. If I didn't hit the books hard and do well on that test I wouldn't just be wasting my time and application money, but a rather large sum there to. So I def got some incentive from that and studied like a madman. I studied the Kaplan material as well as a bunch of other stuff, and while the class was really helpful material-wise, I feel that slapping down that cash pushed me even more to beat up that DAT... And ooo it was gratifying to take it down...
-Pete

I took the Kaplan DAT course last summer and I thought that the material that they provided was great, but as the other posters said similar material can be found online.

I am planning on retaking the DAT's and my weakest section was Orgo (partially because I ran out of time and did not answer 8 questions). Anybody know any good Orgo study material? And which products do you recommend: The ksfreview, Crack DAT PAT, Orgoman, Archiver, TopScore?