Kaplan DAT BIO and ORGO Detail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JayMiranti

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT before, and now that i am reading through the DAT book it seems like there is a significant amount of stuff left out for the DAT, is the kaplan book pretty comprehensive? Anyone come across anything on the exam that wasnt in the kaplan book?

ANd did anyone get any specific questions about the anatomy of the eye/ear/brain? or about plants/anthropods/annelids/cnidarians that were not very standard?

thanks for the help
 
Yes i too have taken both and there is less detail on the DAT, however the mcat doesn't have that much more as far as orgo is concerned. I suggest however, that you study up very heavily on taxonomy and evoution (especially higher animals) if you only rely on kaplan, you might be in a little trouble for bio.

I didn't get any ?'s about ear, eye or brain although i was prepared for them.
 
hey thanks for the reply

i think the book does a good job of covering things with an overall perspective. i am having a hard time imaging what other stuff might be on the DAT that is not in the book, since even this plant stuff seems foreign it has been such a long time. WIth the bio i really want to make sure i am not just plain missing something i should be studying, is there any sort of comprehensive list anywhere?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if this is effective, but i'm being using Cliff's AP for my bio section w/ kaplan. It's similar to kaplan, but more indepth on many things. I've since then transcribed everything I don't know into flash cards, like "What do gibberellins do?" and such. The only thing that stinks is at about about 200 flash cards and I am just half way through the book. I like the added detail though, and I think it breaks down the organismal complexity well for all diff systems. Again, dunno if it will work, but flashcards seem to work best for me for lots of memorization. This is, after all, a fact test.
 
DrTacoElf said:
Well for biology i would study up on

Taxonmy
Kindgdoms + Phyla (sponges---humans especially)
Genetics
Ecology + Evolution of phyla

Schaums outlines are pretty good as are general bio textbooks for the above topics.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same book cuz there is a third edition of the kaplan book that just came in in june 2004, or thats at least what the publish date says... Anyway, the last chapters of this book are: taxonomy, Ecology, Evolution, and Classifications. It seems pretty complete, is this the same book we are talking about?
 
This is the book i'm talking about

0743235061.jpg
 
I think the best way to approach this is to take a practice exam or two to see where you are weak. Then using Kaplan as a main source and guide, consult a General Biology TEXTBOOK for things that you do not seem to understand well enough.
 
ah okay... then i guess i will have to get that schuman or whatever book that drelftaco keeps recommending... gave my big bio book to brother in law cause he plans to take a bio course next semseter