Kaplan Diagnostic *my personal exp*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdmsamurai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im currently enrolled in the Kaplan course and boy taking the Kaplan diagnostic test was a crazy thing....The QR, PAT, and RC were all shorten down versions though....but here are some important things i learned...

1) Learn to round numbers for fast math
2) Its better to scan the questions in the QR before reading the passage because then you dont have to flip back and forth back and forth.
3) Write down keywords in the passage and maybe where its located...so then you dont have to scan back and forth
4) The PAT TopView/FrontView crap is f*cking hard!!!!!! (mad practice required)
5) Most of the PAT keyhole things can be done by process of elimation
6)for G-chem section learn to round also
7) Pace yourself...if you are on a hard problem...and dont know the answer skip it and come back later

but all in all they give out our diagnostic score on Wednesday. I didn't study O-chem so I know my O-chem score is going to suck hard...but i will post it up here anyhow....

there was also a highschool kid taking the DAT diagnostic test...he thought he was taking the SAT...LOL....when the proctor told him that he was like "oh crap...no wonder it was so hard....lol"

Members don't see this ad.

too bad i didn't read this earlier today. i took my very first diagnostic DAT today and needless to say, i don't need to wait for my score to know that i did horribly. ran out of time and guessed on so much. no surprise though b/c it's been about 3-4 years since the last time i took any science classes. i guess that's why i'm in this kaplan class anyway. here's to no life for the next 4 months :thumbdown:

wow your course is over 4 months?? lucky!!!

mine is over 2 months (kaplan gives a crazy amount of homework)...and to make it worst im taking 21 units (including research)....and its the last quarter...and the application cycle...and trying to get LORs in.....and my personal statement....trying to get my application on in......etc....etc...headache :(

someone save me!...lol

My kaplan class is only 2 months (gets done mid may) long but I'm gonna give myself maybe up to 2 months extra to prepare for the DATs. Between school, volunteering, part-time work, collecting LORs, working on the personal statement, and semi social life, I know I won't be able to study the way I want until I get done with school in June. I'm trying to get everything submitted on AADSAS by no later than June 1 and then I'll just have to worry about studying and doing well on the DATs :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know that Kaplan has a highscore guarentee up to 1 month after you taken the course? If you take it two months after then if you get an unsatisified score you wont be able to get your money back or retake the course

Maybe I don't understand the whole higher score or guarantee but do they compare the actual DAT score to the baseline which in my case would be the diagnostic test score? Yea, I don't think I could ever get a refund even if I do take the DATs within 30 days of the class being done b/c there's no way I can do any lower than the diagnostic test score...lets just put it this way, I was not a science major and the last time I took a basic science class was 3-4 yrs ago

its not only that...if you are unsatisified with your score you can retake the course for free!

so i went thru and read the enrollment agreement and now i understand what you are saying. i'd rather take the test when i'm ready and judging from where i am now, i'll probably not be quite ready to take the DAT within 30 days of the class being over. at least i have the option to repeat the class if i don't feel ready to take it right away (the "readiness" part of their higher score or guarantee). oh well...good luck on your studying and the application process!