Kaplan Full Length #2 BS Question 188

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who had this question, it states (and I'm paraphrasing) that "Osmosis causes freshwater fish to gain water and marine fish to lose water. Which of the following is true?"

So, based on this, I determined before looking at the answer choices that freshwater fish must live in hypotonic water and marine fish live in hypertonic water (compared to their internal fluid). Seems sensible.

After reading the answer choices, I found two correct answers! The possible answers were

A. Marine fish live in an environment hypertonic to their body fluids.
B. Marine fish live in an environment hypotonic to their body fluids.
C. Freshwater fish live in an environment hypertonic to their body fluids.
D. Freshwater fish live in an environment hypotonic to their body fluids.

Now, based on the question, B and C are wrong and A and D are right. I can't see how there is only one answer for this question.

Am I going crazy?

BTW, I put down 'D' and the answer was 'A'. As far as I can tell they are both correct. Kaplan says flat out that D is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

impossible! i marked A and i got it wrong it said the answer is ..D...Both are correct?????????...2nd kaplan bobo on that test ...another explanation says the correct answer is "C..and then proves C is incorrect midway explination"..wondering if the key was in error also

Either you misread the question or the test booklet has a typo. On mine choice D is: "isotonic".

DieselPetrolGrl said:
impossible! i marked A and i got it wrong it said the answer is ..D...Both are correct?????????...2nd kaplan bobo on that test ...another explanation says the correct answer is "C..and then proves C is incorrect midway explination"..wondering if the key was in error also

No Way! I know what you are referring to - there was another problem that they goofed on.

On this one, I think both are correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
silkworm said:
Either you misread the question or the test booklet has a typo. On mine choice D is: "isotonic".

The test booklet has a typo. How odd. I'm looking at it again. It definitely, positively, without a doubt, says hypotonic.

Wait - check this **** out. I love digital cameras. (I wonder if this is illegal...)

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/62f0930/bc/MCATQuestion.jpg?bfsj1.ABZH9UU1gF

I find it amazing that a typo could occur in this fashion.

thegenius said:
The test booklet has a typo. How odd. I'm looking at it again. It definitely, positively, without a doubt, says hypotonic.

Wait - check this **** out. I love digital cameras. (I wonder if this is illegal...)

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/62f0930/bc/MCATQuestion.jpg?bfsj1.ABZH9UU1gF

I find it amazing that a typo could occur in this fashion.

Yes, I had the same thing. Two correct answers like you. I chose D, and answer was A. :thumbdown:

How many more goof ups are in Kaplan? I hope none in Verbal, cuz i am not confident enough to know that I am right and they are wrong.

premedgeek said:
How many more goof ups are in Kaplan? I hope none in Verbal, cuz i am not confident enough to know that I am right and they are wrong.

I totally hear you on that one - the verbal is more subjective than the science questions. There were a few that took much thought after reading the answer. I was saying to myself "Ok, I guess how I can see why I'm wrong on this one."

Mine says isotonic for choice D, so I don't know what to tell you.......I admitt my eyes were pretty blurry by that point on the test. I could barely read that thing with acetylchlorine............I guessed on all of those ? and got 4 out of 6 right...............not bad I guess

I've never seen this question before (I'm not in Kaplan's class), but yes, you are correct: A & D are right. They must've screwed up. That's an easy question too. Would've been nice to get a free point =/

i specifically remember that question from yesterday, and my test booklet said isotonic. that's weird that some had the goof while others didn't. i have noticed that their qbank stuff has tons of errors, but i haven't noticed much with the in-class materials.

willthatsall said:
Yeah, it wasn't working last night when I tried to see it either...

OK, I'm determined to show the picture, because I already went to all the work of taking the picture, cropping it, and putting it online. I'll find a different web provider.