Kaplan Home Study Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOwl007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've purchased the Kaplan Home Study Books and just started reading them. My question is regarding the quality of these review books. Are they completely comprehensive? For example, would I need to supplement these books with RR Path/BRS path or other review books? I know a major weakness of these books is the length, but I should have enough time to get through it all.

My tentative plan is to use the Kaplan books + Qbank/UW. Suggestions?

Thanks!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i used the kaplan books, first aid, and qbank as my only study tools and did very well. i wouldn't recommend foregoing first aid, but the books are rather comprehensive and in my opinion don't need further supplementation. kaplan's books cost a lot, but i feel they were well worth it for both step1 and step2.

I assume you're referring to the black books. I used those, Qbank, and First Aid, Goljan Audio and did relatively well having studied for only 3.5 wks (99). However, I felt that the black books had a little too much info in some areas and little less than necessary in others. I would recommend buying the white "lecture notes" books (there are 6 I think.. maybe more). From what people who have used those tell me... they are better than the black ones.

I used the kaplan books and loved them. I used HY neuro cuz kaplan was like 300 pages. I also used FA and UW. I tried BRS path, but I like paragraphs more than outlines. Had roughly same info as kaplan, more concise. Also, if I had to do it all over again, I would listen to goljan at least 2x, probably more like 3!
good luck.
(oh, and I was basically blown away by my score, so this method worked for me!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using Kaplan for everything except for path. I like the Goljan lectures so I am gonna use RR. Also...FA is always nice.

Anyone know if/where you can buy the Kaplan video lectures on their website? I'm nervous about buying them through Craig's List or something like that, but when I click on books and software it doesn't come up, and I don't want the 4,000$ go to the center course because a) I don't want to study at the center and b) I don't have 4,000$... Anyone know where on the website you can just buy materials?