Kaplan Lecture Notes and Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jambuster14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Is it possible to a get a 99 in Step 1 by only relying on Kaplan Lecture Notes?

One more question am an IMG and I would like to apply to IM residency, Is it easy for me to get a position even though I have not completed any research and have not done any observeship?

Thank you

Hope you answer my inquires

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings everyone,

One more question am an IMG and I would like to apply to IM residency, Is it easy for me to get a position even though I have not completed any research and have not done any observeship?

Thank you

That depends - what medical school did you go to and how strong was their curriculum? Do they teach exactly the same things as an American medical school curriculum? Was subject was covered in it and was it taught in English? If any of this is no - then it'll be more difficult to predict how well you'll do on the boards.

As far an applying to an IM residency - IM is not very competitive so as long as you score a 99 or even an average 220, you should have a pretty good chance of matching. As far as research, I don't think it's necessary. However if you did all of your clinicals in your native country, you should try to do an observership and get a letter of recommendation from an US attending physician.

Greetings everyone,

Thank you

I'm an IMG and I can hand on heart say that revising for step 1 is an absolute nightmare. I hate this exam with an unholy passion. Most med schools in the UK have moved away from the path/pharm/micro block style teaching to an integrated curriculum which is meaning I am having to teach myself a lot of stuff from scratch, even though I've done well in med school exams.

That depends - what medical school did you go to and how strong was their curriculum? Do they teach exactly the same things as an American medical school curriculum? Was subject was covered in it and was it taught in English? If any of this is no - then it'll be more difficult to predict how well you'll do on the boards.

As far an applying to an IM residency - IM is not very competitive so as long as you score a 99 or even an average 220, you should have a pretty good chance of matching. As far as research, I don't think it's necessary. However if you did all of your clinicals in your native country, you should try to do an observership and get a letter of recommendation from an US attending physician.

PS your display pic made my SDN day. :thumbup:

Kaplan study materials are good. Some of their videos are useful. Esp Biochem and behavioral science.

Of course in the end, Uworld and First Aid are the Most important things.