Kaplan lecture notes vs home study program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- does anyone have any thoughts on the difference between the Step 1 Kaplan lecture notes (about 7 books) vs the home study program books (4 books)? What is the difference between the 2? Is one set better than the other?

From what I understand the lecture notes are given to students that sign up for the course, and they have videos which are available--but if you don't take the Kaplan course and just buy these books from someone else how do you access the videos? Also is it necessary to watch the videos or is the set of lecture notes complete enough?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

interesting. i did not know they have a home study with only 4 books. i have all the 7 books (without the videos, and its more than enough still) and read it alongside kaplan medessentials. kaplan me is basically a sum up of all the 7 books in one book. but again, i had no idea that kaplan had a home study program, with only 4 books. but the 7 lecture series books are fabulous.

interesting. i did not know they have a home study with only 4 books. i have all the 7 books (without the videos, and its more than enough still) and read it alongside kaplan medessentials. kaplan me is basically a sum up of all the 7 books in one book. but again, i had no idea that kaplan had a home study program, with only 4 books. but the 7 lecture series books are fabulous.

So you don't think you are missing anything with the 7 books but without the lecture videos? Also are you using first aid or just kaplan medessentials? Is there a difference

So you don't think you are missing anything with the 7 books but without the lecture videos? Also are you using first aid or just kaplan medessentials? Is there a difference

I think the lecture videos are unnecessary. The 7 books are more than enough. But I only read them to understand what medessentials has. medessentials basically is a book with all of the high yield facts of the 7 lecture series books in one book.

I used both books. Its important to use both books. What I did was after reading the 7 books alongside kaplan medessentials (for the sole purpose of understanding kaplan me), I had first aid and kaplan medessentials opened side by side. I highlighted the things in Kaplan Medessentials which were also found in First Aid. Things that were in First Aid, and were not in Kaplan ME, I would write into Kaplan Me with the associated FA page #. Then I would try to memorize as much as I can, but particularly paying attention to the things I highlighted and wrote making sure I know those cold.

Then I did Uworld and Kaplan Qbank. The best thing with Uworld is that its like the real exam, and the good thing about kaplan qbank is they have kaplan me page references to reinforce some of the stuff you remembered. I got a 254 with this method, and seeing my classmates do DIT + FA + Uworld I still think my system was better and actually more time efficient. Listening to DIT which is basicaly a verbal first aid,and then struggling massively with uworld questions and then reading every explanation i think took slightly more time and effort than what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the lecture videos are unnecessary. The 7 books are more than enough. But I only read them to understand what medessentials has. medessentials basically is a book with all of the high yield facts of the 7 lecture series books in one book.

I used both books. Its important to use both books. What I did was after reading the 7 books alongside kaplan medessentials (for the sole purpose of understanding kaplan me), I had first aid and kaplan medessentials opened side by side. I highlighted the things in Kaplan Medessentials which were also found in First Aid. Things that were in First Aid, and were not in Kaplan ME, I would write into Kaplan Me with the associated FA page #. Then I would try to memorize as much as I can, but particularly paying attention to the things I highlighted and wrote making sure I know those cold.

Then I did Uworld and Kaplan Qbank. The best thing with Uworld is that its like the real exam, and the good thing about kaplan qbank is they have kaplan me page references to reinforce some of the stuff you remembered. I got a 254 with this method, and seeing my classmates do DIT + FA + Uworld I still think my system was better and actually more time efficient. Listening to DIT which is basicaly a verbal first aid,and then struggling massively with uworld questions and then reading every explanation i think took slightly more time and effort than what I did.

Wow dude. I use medessentials as well and its a cool book, but do you realise that like 13 out of your last 15 posts have all been about medessentials :smack: