Kaplan Lectures Notes question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adit15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting the Kaplan Lecture notes series, which costs an exorbitant amount of money... but that's med school i guess. I was wondering what people thought about it? I was planning on reading it through and using it as a basis w/ FA. I heard that the lecture notes are based of class videos. Will it matter if those books are used to study w/o the videos? Any help appreciated it!

Members don't see this ad.

Im thinking of getting the Kaplan Lecture notes series, which costs an exorbitant amount of money... but that's med school i guess. I was wondering what people thought about it? I was planning on reading it through and using it as a basis w/ FA. I heard that the lecture notes are based of class videos. Will it matter if those books are used to study w/o the videos? Any help appreciated it!

Run a search its been discussed. Or cut and paste your question and post it in multiple threads.

i apologize, i posted the reply in the middle of the night, and my browser or the server was slow... i tried posting my response in a different place, when it wouldnt go through, and it ended up posting 3000 times, couldnt figure out how to delete all the posts either... but yea tried searching for opinions and its just people trying to sell the books... so any advice is helpful, sorry for the annoyance!

and if someone can tell me how to delete the posts, ill do that too... sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
and if someone can tell me how to delete the posts, ill do that too... sorry

most people like the lecture notes more than the comprehensive 4 volume systems based books from kaplan. They're both well written imo but the thing with the lecture notes is that they're supposedly incomplete without watching the lecture videos (eg the Kaplan DVD's) and "filling" them in (annotating). So if you wanted to do a full review with the lecture notes and annotate them into your FA, youd also want to annotate the lecture notes with the corresponding lectures. Kaplan doesnt sell the DVD's, but you can probably find someone at your school that'll sell them. Their new web prep is supposed to have a bunch of the new vids.

The only consistent complaint ive seen about the lecture notes (other than $$) is the pathology section (which some people have supplemented with Goljan or BRS), although theyve supposedly worked on this for the 2009 set - if youre looking at getting new ones that is.

do u recommend doing the lecture notes w/ the videos, like do people usually use the kaplan lecture notes w/o them, and just annotate from different books?

do u recommend doing the lecture notes w/ the videos, like do people usually use the kaplan lecture notes w/o them, and just annotate from different books?
If you have the time i would say you do them with the videos, i read somewhere they are about 160hrs of video but most of the lecturers are really slow so you can speed them up a bit to reduce the time(thats what i do)

hey guys with out starting another tread I can get the 2004 Kaplan lecture notes for pretty cheap----but im not short on money--- but im getting a sweet deal on the 2004 notes and i could use the saving for other books----should should I go with the latest edition 2010 or just get the 2004. Does anyone know if there is much of a drastic change b/w the two?

hey guys with out starting another tread I can get the 2004 Kaplan lecture notes for pretty cheap----but im not short on money--- but im getting a sweet deal on the 2004 notes and i could use the saving for other books----should should I go with the latest edition 2010 or just get the 2004. Does anyone know if there is much of a drastic change b/w the two?
the 2004 might be a little outdated, you dont need to spend a lot on the 2010 editions, the 07/08 editions are fine and cheap on ebay and from what i have read they arent much different from the newest editions

what do u guys think about the 2006-7 edition, i got the videos and books for those, it was real convenient, going to use other books too... think thats too outdated?