Kaplan live lecture notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go thru. the live lect. notes.
I have about 4 weeks before my test. I have been using step-up, first aid, and various HY, and BRS books since first year, but I don't really have a plan right now.
I have been doing qbank for about two weeks, but I'm not really getting anywhere.
I feel like I need to go through some sort of all encompassing source to figure out where I am the weakest.

If live lect. notes take too long, does anyone have another suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing the live lecture series now, and we go for 3 weeks, six days a week, 6-7 hrs of lecture a day, and we cover 80-100 pages a day. I know friends had goals pre-Kaplan (we had a little 2 week break after lecture exams finish) to read 100 pages a day, but no one could do it. Just listening to this material is exhausting--thank god I don't have to rely on myself for motivation!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fiatslug:
•I'm doing the live lecture series now, and we go for 3 weeks, six days a week, 6-7 hrs of lecture a day, and we cover 80-100 pages a day. I know friends had goals pre-Kaplan (we had a little 2 week break after lecture exams finish) to read 100 pages a day, but no one could do it. Just listening to this material is exhausting--thank god I don't have to rely on myself for motivation!•••••fiatslug,

How do you like the Kaplan lecture notes? Do you study from these notes exclusively or do you use other references? Do you think the resources are good on their own, or do you think they're best used in conjunction with an instructor? I'm curious b/c I have an opportunity to buy the set, and I wanted to get some feedback from someone who's used the materials.

Thanks! :)

Hey ubiq--

I think by and large the Kaplan notes are terrific resources, but I defy ANY USMLE resource to be complete in itself! At this point, I'm flipping between Kaplan (~1500 pages) and First Aid (~300 pages). I suppose you could buy the notes now--but I have to say, almost everyone I know who had grand plans to "study ahead" for second year, or start their USMLE prep in the fall of MS2, pretty much got crushed by the steamroller that is the second year of medical school. If you wanted to do something mindless that might help, get Bug Cards and start idly memorizing bacteria whilst you sip your daquiri by the pool. When you hear advice from those in years ahead of you to "just enjoy the last summer of your life," we're not kidding. It's all a big train wreck from here.

Your Pal Slug

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fiatslug:
•Hey ubiq--

I think by and large the Kaplan notes are terrific resources, but I defy ANY USMLE resource to be complete in itself! At this point, I'm flipping between Kaplan (~1500 pages) and First Aid (~300 pages). I suppose you could buy the notes now--but I have to say, almost everyone I know who had grand plans to "study ahead" for second year, or start their USMLE prep in the fall of MS2, pretty much got crushed by the steamroller that is the second year of medical school. If you wanted to do something mindless that might help, get Bug Cards and start idly memorizing bacteria whilst you sip your daquiri by the pool. When you hear advice from those in years ahead of you to "just enjoy the last summer of your life," we're not kidding. It's all a big train wreck from here.

Your Pal Slug•••••Thanks for the speedy reply, Slug!!! I was also thinking of having First Aid on hand since I've heard that it's a must-have. I hope your studying is going well. I wish my school offered a live lecture series...it would definitely help me in the motivation dept.!

On another note, do you think it would be possible to at least use First Aid as a reference throughout the second year? I was thinking that if time permitted I would refer to it as we covered the same topics in lecture. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks!