1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaplan New QBank

Discussion in 'Step II' started by kris09us, Dec 29, 2008.

1. kris09us

Guys ... please give your opinion on Step2 CK New Qbank. I just enrolled and after some Blocks I felt that they are tougher and not as much useful as UWorld, I am thinking may be I should do UWorld again and stop Kaplan Qbank. My exam is in 3weeks, so i do not want to waste time on someting that is not useful ..

What is your opinion and experience with Kaplan Qbank (new) ... thanks for your help in this matter.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kaboodle

kaboodle Member
    7+ Year Member

It doesn't reflect the New format of the test. The "new" kaplan Q bank looks like the "old" format of USMLE world and the "old" CK format. I bought the new Kaplan Q bank too and after about 2 weeks I stopped and bought U world. Im glad I did because it looks exactley like the real test.....I really think the makers of USMLE world "secretly" work for the USMLE because it looks exactly like the real thing. Actually if you do an NBME practice exam, even they don't look like the real test... World is the way to go.:thumbup:

4. kris09us

Thanks for the info Kaboodle. How about the complexity of questions? Do you think USMLE questions are close to Kaplan or UWORLD?

5. kaboodle

kaboodle Member
    7+ Year Member

USMLE World is just like the real deal, however on the real test you'll probably get a few more obscure questions. Do yourself a favor and focus on world questions.

6. EBKame

EBKame Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't give up that easily on the new QBank. I used it in combo with USMLE World for the Step II and scored a 262. I think the question length reflects the real exam more and the questions are more challenging, which gives you more motivation to study. My advice would be to not give up on Kaplan, but intersperse the questions with World, so that you do not get too overwhelmed.

7. KillingMeSmalls

KillingMeSmalls S'more of what?
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with EBKame. The only question bank I used was Kaplan, and came out with a score that was very similar to EB's. The real thing you need to figure out, despite all the dogging that everyone does on Kaplan on SDN, it which bank you like using more if you only want to focus on one of them. They'll both give you what you need.

8. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can anyone else comment on Kaplan vs UW for Step 2?
    UW seems easier, more conceptual, less zebras vs. Kaplan which seems to test on more random minutae and it seems like either you know it or don't ...

9. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think Kaplan is probably better to use during the year to learn during rotations and UW is better to use to study for the Step 2CK.

Hands down though UW is probably better from all the posts I've read