KAPLAN Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMELL

FIRE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion which kaplan lecture notes, other than Biochemistry are worth studying?

Also for those who have used web prep or the bootleg videos which ones would you recommend watching or listening too?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the pharmacology book, I thought it was top notch. The anatomy and micro/immuno books were really good and I think they are worth reading unless you know your anatomy cold or you have the Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple.

I second the pharm book, albeit its a bit too detailed.
the videos:
path - waste of time; he reads them straight
phys - pretty good but the guy is sooo boring
biochem - eh, just stick to the book
behsci - this guys a riot, worth it to watch just for the comedy alone
pharm - good to watch. the fake english accent is a nice touch too
micro/immuno - worth watching, he's a pretty good teacher and his explainations are clear and concise
anatom - dont know; didn't watch

USMELL said:
In your opinion which kaplan lecture notes, other than Biochemistry are worth studying?

Also for those who have used web prep or the bootleg videos which ones would you recommend watching or listening too?

thanks

I used the notes and would recommend them highly with the exception of pathology. I just sub'd in brs path and FA instead. Those are the only books I used and got me a 243. I also wouldn't recommend watching or listening to the lectures unless you are a serious auditory learner. I considered them a waste of time as they would usually just slow you down by reading the notes aloud to you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the USMLE notes from kaplan were horrible. that may just be because i bought the notes off of an upperclassman and I didnt take the corresponding lectures but i thought they were a waste of money and time.

the only two I liked from kaplan were biochem and immuno. for everything else i either used BRS, HY, or first aid. whatever you use though, make sure you give yourself time to go through and memorize first aid like 3 times. i spent way too much time "reading" the review books and not enough time getting first aid down cold cover to cover. if i could do it all over again and i had 5 weeks for example i'd probably just limit myself to 2 weeks of review books and then 3 weeks of first aid, and questions throughout. as you read the review books and work qbank, glance through FA and annotate it. dont get backed up reading the review books to the point you spend say 3 1/2 weeks reading and only 7-10 days memorizing FA.

vtrain said:
pharm - good to watch. the fake english accent is a nice touch too

It's not a fake accent, just a weird accent. He was raised in France, but his mom is British. So he has a natural Franco-British accent, that was modified by living in the US. A language melting pot all to himself! But not fake!!!

Baby Einstein said:
It's not a fake accent, just a weird accent. He was raised in France, but his mom is British. So he has a natural Franco-British accent, that was modified by living in the US. A language melting pot all to himself! But not fake!!!

I think he was referring to Goljan audio lectures, where he repeatedly jokes about "our little friend with the fake english accent" :laugh:

beastmaster said:
The kap website says that they reshot all of the videos. What's the word on that ?

The immuno, anatomy, and neuro series are completely brand new and they are 100% better than the previous version.I don't know about the bootleg, but if you have current access to web prep, immuno is worth the time. As others have pointed out, biochem and pharm are excellently done as well. Physio I thought was great at getting the information across. Path and micro I would just ignore.

superoxide said:
I think he was referring to Goljan audio lectures, where he repeatedly jokes about "our little friend with the fake english accent" :laugh:

Ah I see. I'm not at that stage yet (just starting M1) but I've met the guy personally so I felt compelled to defend him. He's not an impostor! But now I'm in on the joke. Thanks!

Baby Einstein said:
Ah I see. I'm not at that stage yet (just starting M1) but I've met the guy personally so I felt compelled to defend him. He's not an impostor! But now I'm in on the joke. Thanks!

No Problem...btw thanks for sharing his geneology. Maybe someone should make a pedigree out of all that info and figure out what is the probablity of his first born son having a French accent :laugh:

Baby Einstein said:

No Problem...btw thanks for sharing his geneology. Maybe someone should make a pedigree out of all that info and figure out what is the probablity of his first born son having a French accent :laugh: