1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaplan OAT scores

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by Brittany Sunshine, May 3, 2018.

1. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    So my OAT test is in 4 days and I'm freaking out! I just recently took my first Kaplan OAT (minus the QR section). These were my scores:

BIO: 310
    GC: 280
    OC: 270
    PHY: 240

Does anyone have opinions on these scores? I've read a lot that the actual OAT is a lot easier, so I don't know if I should be concerned about these scores or not. Any advice would be helpful!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sunshine daisy

Pre-Optometry
    In my experience the Kaplan practice tests were much more difficult than the actual test so I would not get wrapped up in what you are scoring on them. They are nice however to practice with the timing of each section and such, so definitely a good tool. Also it helps if you use them to identify where your weaknesses are and what you should go over.

There is a practice exam that you can get your hands on through the ADA OAT website, there are links posted if you search through the forums. That is the test that is most identical to the actual OAT in terms of difficulty and questioning style. I recommend taking that a day or two before your actual test and that will give you the best measure of what scores you should expect!

Best of luck! If you have anymore questions feel free to reach out :)

4. PREOPTODOC

Kaplan practice tests were sooooo much harder than the actual oat! As stated above, you should take the ADA free practice test! (It’s more like the OAT, and will give ya a confidence boost after you take it). Don’t sweat it and good luck :) (physics on the oat is wayyyyyyyy easier than Kaplan!)

5. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    Thanks so much for your responses! I just took the ADA (untimed) and I did score higher for each section. Still freaking out though! lolol!

6. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    Would you guys say the overall exams on Kaplan are harder than the real OAT? Or just the Physics?

PREOPTODOC likes this.
  7. PREOPTODOC

I would say the overall Except the Kaplan Reading—that was very similar to the real exam

8. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    Thanks! I’m so nervous about my exam tomorrow. I feel like I don’t know what to expect! I did two Kaplan tests, the free ADA, and an OAT practice questions book I got off amazon (that had two exams). So scared!!

9. PREOPTODOC

Good luck! :) Let me know how it goes!

10. akkk

Pre-Optometry
    How did you find the actual test?

11. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    I did horrible. Worst than any Kaplan/ADA test. It was so different than what I studied! I seriously thought they had me taking the wrong exam.

12. PREOPTODOC

I’m sorry to hear this :( You should watch the Chad’s videos and do his practice problems when you start studying for the oat again!! You can do it!

Brittany Sunshine likes this.
  13. optom207

Pre-Optometry
    I am finding the Kaplan practice exams quite tricky as well! Although I want to keep taking them in hopes of being pleasantly surprised by the real thing, I would appreciate the link to the ADA free practice OAT because I'm not having any luck finding it in old threads. If anyone has more info about that, I'd really appreciate it because the one I just found online seems to be $100! Thanks so much :)

14. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry
    I was accepted to PCO!!! Wooooo!

PREOPTODOC and akkk like this.
  15. optguy31

What were your final AA & TS on the actual OAT? How did your GPA compare? Sorry, just about to go through all this myself in a couple months!

16. PREOPTODOC

YAY!!! That’s great :)

Brittany Sunshine likes this.
  17. Brittany Sunshine

Pre-Optometry

290/270 and gpa was around 3.45 (cumulative and science). I was accepted to PCO prior to taken my OAT, which I believe was in my favor. I wish I did better on the test though.

My advice would be to start studying early. Get as much shadowing/experience as you can. That’s what really helped my application.