Kaplan or BRS for physio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesocialbeast

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which one would be better for someone who feels that physiology is not their strongest subject or if another book was better. Specifically I feel especially weak with respiratory and cardio. I am only giving myself 3-4 days to review all of physio so I feel like Big Constanzo would be too ambitious.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm doing kaplan physio right now. it's entirely readable. my philosophy is that i learn and read better from a narrative text, and brs is so choppy that it's worth the extra time. and kaplan reads faster.
if i don't understand something from kaplan, i usually take a look through brs because it's more succinct and it has a glossary of subjects, which is nice and something really lacking about kaplan.
GL

i haven't don'e any kaplan physio yet but i know that for things that i am weak on when i listen to the lectures it really helps so i plan to do this for physio. if you have the lectures you might want to try to do that but mabe use BRS as a review.

sapience8x said:
i haven't don'e any kaplan physio yet but i know that for things that i am weak on when i listen to the lectures it really helps so i plan to do this for physio. if you have the lectures you might want to try to do that but mabe use BRS as a review.

I have read both BRS physio and Kaplan physio and if you are a better visual learner, i say Kaplan all the way.

I agree, kaplan is wayyy more readable and does a GREAT job in respiratory and cardio! GO for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
i pretty much did both...renal is lacking in kaplan for sure, so read brs. And, kaplan has some different emphasis on cardio than brs, so i would definately read certain section of brs (cardiac function curves, cardiac/vasc graphs, etc). Also, the 2nd ch. in brs is pretty much non existent in kaplan--but it's covered elsewhere in other subjects, so may not be necessary.

HiddenTruth said:
i pretty much did both...renal is lacking in kaplan for sure, so read brs. And, kaplan has some different emphasis on cardio than brs, so i would definately read certain section of brs (cardiac function curves, cardiac/vasc graphs, etc). Also, the 2nd ch. in brs is pretty much non existent in kaplan--but it's covered elsewhere in other subjects, so may not be necessary.

i concur about kaplan cardio. there was a ton of stuff i thought they left out like those cardiac function curves that show increased preload, afterload, stroke volume, etc. i also concur on the renal, although i hate that subject so much, i can't bring myself to read BRS quite yet.
in fact, i'd say kaplan was skimpy on the details on a lot of subjects. however, the only source that includes all the pertinent facts is the one you used for class, and i'll be damned if i'm going through that again.
i just finished kaplan phys today. all of it. it was a hike.

I know that this question does not belong in this thread but does anyone know if there is a score correlation for the 150 question USMLE cd.