KAPLAN OR Recommended BOOKS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexjr79

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a little bit confuse, and i dont want to buy a lot of reviewer, i was wondring would you go for kaplan books alone, or other recommended books are enough, like BRS physio,lippincot biochem, Microbio made it rediculously simple,lippincot pharma and etc....which is which??? help me guys

Members don't see this ad.

Tips:

I've heard that Kaplan's biochem book is VERY good, and that the respiratory physiology in the Kaplan Physiology book is very complete.

M.

On that same note I hear Kaplan's Path books are practically useless, and for the DO students I hear you better go out and pick up an extra anatomy review book because I have been told that it is only covered superficially in Kaplan- gearing it more towards the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only assume that you are talking about the Kaplan Lecture Notes and not the Home Study Notes. I think the physio, biochem, and neuroanatomy sections are better than other comparable resources. (Yeah, I know most people are stuck on BRS for Phys and HY for Neuro.) Path is decidedly worse, but many people supplement with Goljan, who's also a lecturer for Kaplan. Micro and Pharm are good, but you really need the spoken lectures to flesh them out, since the notes for these two are so condensed. Anatomy is alright, although there are not as many MRIs and scans as the HY book by Dudek. Neuroanatomy is awesome w/ clear, filled-out explanations (as opposed to the one-liners in HY Neuro).

The notes, though, really are designed to be used in the setting of spoken lectures, whether via the internet (Webprep) or the review courses they hold. They can still be valuable without it but not to the same degree.

HI,

I had the lecture notes and found the Biochem and Pharm to be better than any other source. Usually, students recommend Lippencott for these two subjects, but I found those to be too thick and dense to be useful for USMLE review. I also thought the Immunology section was excellent.

Thank you guys, that tip help a lot.
How about KAPLAN step 2 books? would you still recommend this books? Anyone using Snell anatomy reviewer? is it complete for anatomy?