Kaplan PCAT test book

Started by garrettmb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

garrettmb

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am using the Kaplan PCAT test book to study for the test, will this prepare me well enough for the pcat?
 
I don't think the math in it is comprehensive enough.

I hear also the Org Chem section is weak, but I am currently taking Org Chem so I am not even bothering with the Org Chem section of the Kaplan book.
 
Yup you need to supplement it with some calculus and orgo. The calc they go over in the book is super basic.

That said, I thought they did a great job of explaining first and second derivatives with respect to shape of a graph. Dr Collins didn't really touch on that. But I don't recall Kaplan touching on limits or related rates, right? I haven't taken the PCAT yet but they were on Collins' practice tests.

Here's a couple related rates videos that cleared it up for me:
sphere problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBpPpE-XRg
ladder problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M11k0WPcMc&NR=1