Kaplan Pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caliyaddamean

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken the KAPLAN PCAT classroom prep...if so how was it...was it beneficial....any feedback! I really would like to know ...a class is going to be offerend in my town!
 
Caliyaddamean said:
Has anyone taken the KAPLAN PCAT classroom prep...if so how was it...was it beneficial....any feedback! I really would like to know ...a class is going to be offerend in my town!
let me put my input in this. I took the class last year and took october pcat. I got 76th percentile. Kaplan helped with with a few points but not great. However it was the learning enviornment more of it than the help itself that I still remember. As a general rule of thumb, they teach you stuff way higher than you will ever counter. They will never teach you whats on the test. That was main reason why my scores were so low. All the easy stuff was on the test and I wasnt ready for it! Take it only if you think you will be SERIOUSLY making use of all the tools they provide otherwise dont waste $1000. Its mainly for people who get low scores, and want to become average. It is NOT for people who are average and want stellar scores. I would not advise you spending that much money unless you in the range of ppl above. Use their book instead and other stuff etc.
 
rkothari said:
let me put my input in this. I took the class last year and took october pcat. I got 76th percentile. Kaplan helped with with a few points but not great. However it was the learning enviornment more of it than the help itself that I still remember. As a general rule of thumb, they teach you stuff way higher than you will ever counter. They will never teach you whats on the test. That was main reason why my scores were so low. All the easy stuff was on the test and I wasnt ready for it! Take it only if you think you will be SERIOUSLY making use of all the tools they provide otherwise dont waste $1000. Its mainly for people who get low scores, and want to become average. It is NOT for people who are average and want stellar scores. I would not advise you spending that much money unless you in the range of ppl above. Use their book instead and other stuff etc.


Hi There,

Im also considering taking a Kaplan class being offered in my city. I am kind of on the fence about it though since I have not taken Bio or Organic Chem. Will Kaplan help go over basic concepts needed for the test or will it basically be test taking stragegies the whole way? Im thinkin of taking the test this June 06 (and will take Bio summer 06 and Orgranic Fall 06). Please let me know when you have some time. Thanks!
 
ipinjoy said:
Hi There,

Im also considering taking a Kaplan class being offered in my city. I am kind of on the fence about it though since I have not taken Bio or Organic Chem. Will Kaplan help go over basic concepts needed for the test or will it basically be test taking stragegies the whole way? Im thinkin of taking the test this June 06 (and will take Bio summer 06 and Orgranic Fall 06). Please let me know when you have some time. Thanks!

Test taking strategies all the way, but you will have online resources too to understand the concepts that you are lacking
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kaplan focuses mainly on strategies for Verbal and RC, not so much for Bio, Chem, and Math. Personally, I loved the Kaplan course. I like being in a classroom setting and learn best that way. Kaplan does go through the basics of Bio, Chem, and Math but you have to read through and study the chapters on your own time. You also have online quizzes to take that are scored and have access to Kaplan's section tests. You can go to any of the Kaplan test centers and take Bio, Chem, Verbal, and Math section tests. These are basically just pages of questions. I found this to be particularly helpful, as I was able to go though tons of questions and practice under time constraints. One of the best parts of the class is the workbook that they give you. The workbook is what you go through during classtime. I think the Orgo section in it is great (something that is lacking in the main Kaplan review book). It also provides you with a lot of little tips for remembering certain pathways and whatnot. There are also a lot of practice questions/quizzes in the workbook (way more than in the main book), as well as full length RC passages. Between the main Kaplan review book, the workbook, the online homework assignments and quizzes, and the two full-length exams you take, Kaplan prepares you well for the PCAT. If you like structure and need a guided plan to follow while studying for the PCAT, I think you will like the classroom Kaplan course.

I will also add that I had a great teacher. She was really easy to talk to and would stay after class to go over things with me if I asked her to. She also explained things really well and made complex topics (like some Orgo reactions and stuff) very easy to understand. I do believe that the instructor can positively or negatively influence your experience. Many people felt as though they didn't get much out of the class. I, however, really liked it. Studying for this exam was very overwhelming to me and Kaplan provided me with an organized, structured study plan.
 
Studying for the exam and doing well is certainly possible without taking the course. The course, however, gives you an advantage in the sense that you get mounds of materials from which you can practice on whereas to find these questions on your own and unconsolidated can be a difficult task. The downside is that you have to spend lots of $$ for it. Reminds me of the days when I took the Princeton Review course to up my SATs. It was worth it, but I'm not so sure I would say the same about Kaplan (but then again, I didn't sign up for the course so my opinion may be of little use to you).
 
Well I just quit my teacher training with Kaplan.
I was going to teach, but I can not get through their training.
They really focus on the process, their method, and is taking me a long time to prepare. I don't have that kind of time and the prep time is paid very low.
I thought I could do it, but after taking a look at that study guide....
I think there is more than one way to solve this problems, and you are experienced enough as a student to know what best works for you. If you take the Kaplan course, their way is the only way.
I can not teach like that.
Learning their way takes long. The overkill in the science, and I think is too expensive.
May be the online resources are good for practice, but just not worh $$$$.
I hope I don't ofend those of you who have done well with it, but I think it works for everyone that needs to be taken by the hand and do not have the discipline to teach themselves.
Remember if you are in pharmacy, you should keep up with the changing information, so... you should be able to have the discipline to study on your own.
I am kinda sad about it, because I was really excited when I started. Then I saw how they tell me what to say in EVERY page. Not good!