Kaplan PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dianabruin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I just ordered the Dr. Collins self study package. I've been debating whether or not I should take the Kaplan course on top of that.

I've been reading a lot of posts about how Kaplan was useless, but I'm just curious as to why. If anyone has taken the Kaplan PCAT course, do you think it's worth the money? And if not, why do you think it was a waste?

I'm just in a pickle because my older brother and sister are telling me it's an investment to pay for these prep courses so that you increase your chances of scoring high. Whereas so many people on here are saying it's useless. Please help! Thank you!
 
Hello!

I just ordered the Dr. Collins self study package. I've been debating whether or not I should take the Kaplan course on top of that.

I've been reading a lot of posts about how Kaplan was useless, but I'm just curious as to why. If anyone has taken the Kaplan PCAT course, do you think it's worth the money? And if not, why do you think it was a waste?

I'm just in a pickle because my older brother and sister are telling me it's an investment to pay for these prep courses so that you increase your chances of scoring high. Whereas so many people on here are saying it's useless. Please help! Thank you!


When are you planning to take the PCAT? If time permits, I would just try to spend some quality time with the Dr. Collins guide, go through each study packet and then take the Official PCAT practice test on Pearson's website. The Dr. Collins guide is very good about getting you ready for both the material on the PCAT, but also the question format. I scored a 91 composite with it and there were still several classes that I had not taken that were relevant to the exam (Organic 1 & 2, AP 2, Microbiology, bio 2). Keep in mind that the Dr. Collins comes with about 8 practice tests for each unit.

If you still feel unprepared, or don't do well on the official practice tests, THEN I would look into the Kaplan Courses.... unless you have the extra money to drop on it right off! lol
 
Hello!

I just ordered the Dr. Collins self study package. I've been debating whether or not I should take the Kaplan course on top of that.

I've been reading a lot of posts about how Kaplan was useless, but I'm just curious as to why. If anyone has taken the Kaplan PCAT course, do you think it's worth the money? And if not, why do you think it was a waste?

I'm just in a pickle because my older brother and sister are telling me it's an investment to pay for these prep courses so that you increase your chances of scoring high. Whereas so many people on here are saying it's useless. Please help! Thank you!
I thought about that actually. I almost registered for the Kaplan course $1500(Ouch!) and decided instead to take the Dr Collins course which is offered like 2 hours from where I live in Fort Luaderdale, FL). Everybody talks so high about the package itself, I figured investing half of what the Kaplan course is worth in the Dr Collins class would be a good PCAT prep. Im taking it in May. Will post opinions of it post PCAT and how helpful it was. Plus you also receive the self study guide along with the class weeks ahead of the class so you can look it over.
 
Hello!

I just ordered the Dr. Collins self study package. I've been debating whether or not I should take the Kaplan course on top of that.

I've been reading a lot of posts about how Kaplan was useless, but I'm just curious as to why. If anyone has taken the Kaplan PCAT course, do you think it's worth the money? And if not, why do you think it was a waste?

I'm just in a pickle because my older brother and sister are telling me it's an investment to pay for these prep courses so that you increase your chances of scoring high. Whereas so many people on here are saying it's useless. Please help! Thank you!

Have you taken any of the sample Pearson exams yet? I would take a sample exam or 2 under real test conditions (i.e. straight through, time limited, 1 break, writing portions, etc) and see where you are coming out. If you are scoring well (80%+) I would say screw the class and focus on the other material. If you have money laying around though (or your parents, etc are paying for it), then I guess why not take the class? If you are scoring on the low end (60's or below) on the sample exams (especially in the math/chem/bio portions) then it may be worthwhile to take the class. If you are scoring high in all areas except reading comp/verbal, than no class is really going to be able to help you out. Best thing to do is to see where your problem areas are at with a sample exam and then work from there.
 
Hello!

I just ordered the Dr. Collins self study package. I've been debating whether or not I should take the Kaplan course on top of that.

I've been reading a lot of posts about how Kaplan was useless, but I'm just curious as to why. If anyone has taken the Kaplan PCAT course, do you think it's worth the money? And if not, why do you think it was a waste?

I'm just in a pickle because my older brother and sister are telling me it's an investment to pay for these prep courses so that you increase your chances of scoring high. Whereas so many people on here are saying it's useless. Please help! Thank you!

I taught the Kaplan course and I think it is a huge waste of money. First off, I taught the class and didn't take a class myself. Second, I was an undergrad student teaching it. Is that worth $1500? I think not. Third, they asked me to teach their dental exam prep course... And I hadn't even taken their exam.

If you need structure and motivation to study, it's good. The prep materials are good. But the only qualification to teach the course is to get over a 90thpercentile on the PCAT, and that definitely does not mean someone can effectively convey the concepts to others.