Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Kaplan Physics Q: Light waves

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by 4563728, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 4563728

4563728 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    A source emits light of wavelength 600 nm for 0.01 microseconds. how many complete waves are sent out?

The way I tried to do the problem was with d=vt, v being the speed of light (3e8) times the t=0.01 us. Then solving for distance I divided that by the total number of waves in that given time and the answer didn't match Kaplan's answer. The found the period first that solved to the complete number of waves, which makes sense but why is my solution wrong?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Odi

Odi

Pre-Medical
    Find the frequency of that wavelength.

Frequency = cycles / second ... multiply that frequency by 0.01 x 10^-6 seconds. Seconds will cancel out and you're left with however many waves were completed.

4. 4563728

4563728 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I understand the by finding the frequency I can figure out the answer but why doesn't the equation d=vt work? If v was speed of light and t was the time given. Then I thought dividing distance d by the wavelength would give me the correct answer. Why is this method incorrect?

5. Odi

Odi

Pre-Medical
    Are all your units correct? What's the answer the give?

About the ads