Kaplan Prep Course Classes

Started by moolman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moolman

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I did a search but didn't find anything. Has anybody heard anything about the Kaplan course taught live at the centers or maybe even the online course they offer. The ones they sell for over $1000. I was thinking of taking the PCAT prep course at Kaplan and wanted some advice before spending $1400 on it.

Thanks

Alex
 
Hi,
I did a search but didn't find anything. Has anybody heard anything about the Kaplan course taught live at the centers or maybe even the online course they offer. The ones they sell for over $1000. I was thinking of taking the PCAT prep course at Kaplan and wanted some advice before spending $1400 on it.

Thanks

Alex


I took the kaplan course and didn't think it was worth it.Most of their teachers were med school students who had forgotten their undergrad stuff and just read direcly from the book which was something I could have done on my own. I'll say their study guide was helpful for some sections like biology. For chemistry, their general chem was good too but read other materials for organic. So invest on study material and practice questions
 
Hi,
When you say read off the book, do you mean they just read off the study guide they sell at the store or do they at least have a different book.

I'm contemplating doing the course "live" at the Westwood site because even a small boost in my score would be worth the $1300 to me. Also, I sometimes need a little kick in the butt to get me to study, so I figure if I have to go to class 2 times a week, I may get into gear better.

Don't they offer you extras such as more practice questions or whatever compared to just their regular PCAT book they sell at the bookstore? And why did you not like the OChem.

Thanks

Alex
 
I forgot to ask but if were to take the class, would you recommend I take the class early or just on time. Meaning, I want to take the August PCAT and they have a class that meets twice a week and ends a week before the test. Or should I take the one that starts in April and ends in June for the June test but still take the August test. I have classes during April and May so pretty much can't study for the PCAT during that time, I would just be showing up to take notes but on the other hand if I did the later one, I would be studying while taking the class but I am worried that it is not enough time from when the class ends to when the test is the week after.

Alex
 
Hi,
When you say read off the book, do you mean they just read off the study guide they sell at the store or do they at least have a different book.

I'm contemplating doing the course "live" at the Westwood site because even a small boost in my score would be worth the $1300 to me. Also, I sometimes need a little kick in the butt to get me to study, so I figure if I have to go to class 2 times a week, I may get into gear better.

Don't they offer you extras such as more practice questions or whatever compared to just their regular PCAT book they sell at the bookstore? And why did you not like the OChem.

Thanks

Alex

There's a lesson book that Kaplan instructors direct students through. That's what the previous posters are talking about when they said that instructors just read directly from the book. Unless you know that your instructors will actually teach, the course is essentially TA-directed review directly from a book.

My suggestion would be to study your test prep and textbooks first, take the official Harcourt practice PCATs as well as representative practice PCATs and see how you do. If you find that you have deficiencies in an area that you feel like self-study and books won't help, then look into a course.