Kaplan Prep Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dentalguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking the Kaplan Prep Test, but haven't got much feedback about it. Have any of you guys taken it? Is it effective or just a waste of time. I think I read that it was about 2 weeks long. I really need the help with the Ochem portion.

Predent guy

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering taking the Kaplan Prep Test, but haven't got much feedback about it. Have any of you guys taken it? Is it effective or just a waste of time. I think I read that it was about 2 weeks long. I really need the help with the Ochem portion.

Predent guy

its 6 weeks long, and most people here will tell you that its a waste of time. i took the class, and although the class itself wasn't all that useful, the materials they gave (practice tests, problems, etc...) were definitely worth it.

its 6 weeks long, and most people here will tell you that its a waste of time. i took the class, and although the class itself wasn't all that useful, the materials they gave (practice tests, problems, etc...) were definitely worth it.

How much help do you think it gave you on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with Bruinpredent that the lecture portion of the kaplan package is ridiculous however, the online materials will help you immensely. Practice makes perfect and the online materials give you plenty of practice.

you can't really measure how much it helps...studying for the exam is intense, and you're going to needs all sorts of materials if you want to get a really good score. each study material will help you in a different way....but kaplan will help you establish a great foundation for your studying, so you can get in the details with other materials.

also, kaplan's gchem and ochem sections are pretty good, and should help a lot

gluck :thumbup:

Good post Bruinpredent,

Kaplan is an awesome resource that should be utilized in your DAT preparation. Regardless of what you have heard, kaplan provides you with a very strong foundation for you to build on. it also provides a solid studying structure and test prep tips that would prove helpful in the end. Also, Kaplan has lots of practice problems and practice tests. The lecture portion will vary depending on your instructor. in anycase, i would suggest you use kaplan as well as other programs such as topscore or dat achiever to supplement your test taking skills. gl.

Thanks guys... I think I'll be taking that one!!!

Hmm i'm been a student (twice... 2nd time free)

And i'm a teacher for Kaplan...

the Lectures are pretty boring... BUT the online tools and the books are pretty good... then you can cap off your studies with TopScore (which will make you feel like **** cuz those tests are pretty hard)

If you want to get a high AA, try to practice on the QR and RC as well, I only studied for the sciences when i took my DATs but i wished that i went over the other sections a little more.

take the kaplan online course, it's the reason why i did well on the test. the online material rocks and the books are great.

take the kaplan online course, it's the reason why i did well on the test. the online material rocks and the books are great.

I recommend this idea, as well. I took the in-class course, but as many have said before, the lectures are worthless.

Also eleminopee, I have two more infractions than you. What's your total points? Mine's five.

Kaplan gave me the 3 hour study period each week I needed, otherwise I would have been wakeboarding etc. Worth it in my book. :)

Yea I signed up for the class, kept the materials then got my money back b/c they just seemed to be reading right out of the book. But I do know people who took the class and said it helped them out a little bit. I think it depends on you...if you learn better in a classroom or on your own.

I would only take the kaplan course if you don't think you will be able to make yourself study. If you can pace yourself and study on your own, then there is no point in wasting the money. Buy the kaplan book, and study everything in that and you should be fine.

I recommend this idea, as well. I took the in-class course, but as many have said before, the lectures are worthless.

Also eleminopee, I have two more infractions than you. What's your total points? Mine's five.

i have two but only one point. you got me beat