Kaplan Retreat.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone do this?

Pros? Cons?

How did you like it? Did you score well?

I want to do it but I don't know if I should. I dont do well attending lecture...is this just like class?

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone do this?

Pros? Cons?

I want to do it but I don't know if I should. I dont do well attending lecture...is this just like class?

Help!

What do you mean by Kaplan retreat?

kaplan has retreats where you stay in a hotel for 5 weeks daily classes etc.

its like a USMLE boot camp

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan has retreats where you stay in a hotel for 5 weeks daily classes etc.

its like a USMLE boot camp

Hello! I went to the kaplan site: www.kaptest.com. I had to look into it because live lectures are only offered in the US. :) Well, you'll have high yield lectures for 6 weeks in a hotel setting. I had the Kaplan in-center lectures (DVD) plus the other stuff, lecture notes and the Qbook and there are evaluation quesions. I was able to tolerate the idea of going to the center, sitting down to listen and view the DVD lectures which supplemented the Kaplan Notes. I was enrolled for 4 months. But I think I finished the DVD lectures in 2 1/2 weeks. Well,I didn't do it straight. My review was a tossing and turning spree. I went through the Kaplan notes with the lectures. And that was all about it. :oops: Anyways, I'm on my less than 6 weeks of review and I'm doing question banks. Initially, I would want to avail for KaplanQBank but I opted to try different QBanks since I have KaplanQbook and from feedback from previous examiners, I decided to enroll to USMLEWorld and USMLERx and I'm making everything cohere with First Aid. As what a previous examiner had said, First Aid fills the gap. :laugh: I study the questions with First Aid. And then in the finally two weeks before my exam Next month. Oh geez. ;) I'll take NBME just to gauge how I'm doing.
The key to studying for the boards is to focus on a single review material and accept that we won't learn everything. You'll be hearing lots and lots of recommendations from other test takers but everything will still depend on you... what you decide on. I'll be telling you how my exams went when I get the results. Goodluck and happy reviewing. :)

Did anyone do this?

Pros? Cons?

Help!

I can't believe no one has mentioned this infamous thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=386337

Wings4Marie should have answered anything you may need to know about the Kaplan retreats by now. Just remember that Goljan is no longer working for Kaplan anymore, so I believe you will have Dr. Barone instead. I had Barone for live lectures in Pasadena, and he was excellent.

Did anyone do this?

Pros? Cons?

Help!

It sounds cool, but not if you don't like class!! How could it be any different?

thanks for that link!! it does explain everything!

And i think im pretty set on not going. other people have told me it is just like class....and if i can stick to my own schedule i should iA be fine!

bump!

Bumping this to hear updates on what people have done or are thinking regarding this retreat. I'm seriously thinking about doing this even just for the boot camp structure. Any updated feedback regarding the teaching styles and daily schedule and rigor from recent attendees would be super awesome!

Thanks!

:cool:

bump!

Bumping this to hear updates on what people have done or are thinking regarding this retreat. I'm seriously thinking about doing this even just for the boot camp structure. Any updated feedback regarding the teaching styles and daily schedule and rigor from recent attendees would be super awesome!

my friend took it and she did well since she was FORCED to see board material for 6 weeks ..good advantage of such programs

So I hear most of the people in Kaplan retreat are IMG's. Are there any US med students who took it? What did you think? I'm planning on taking STEP 1 3 days after the kaplan retreat course? Is that too soon? Are they teaching things as if from scratch or to recall things, high yield? Any thoughts. I'm so nervous, I dont know anyone else who took this course.

Kaplan live lectures are quality...very conceptual, helps tone down the memorization aspect of things. There's a handful of US Students, but most are indeed IMGs.