kaplan review course versus self study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJMD777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all of you :) ! this is my first time posting a reply here but i have read almost all of the threads. :thumbup:

I am a junior Filipino american med student going onto clerkship this April ;) . I attend University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery , Manila, Philippines and in a PBL medical curriculum. My question is regarding on how to go about reviewing for the USMLE step 1 effeciently, effectively, and not being overkill. I have tons of books suggested by people here and the First AID but i dont know if those will be suffice as review materials for IMGs. I know for the majority of US students those are plenty. HOwever, since we are IMGs we might be weak in the basics :confused: :scared: , many IMGs graduates opt for the more intensive review under Kaplan. Is signing for Kaplan put one at a greater advantage as opposed to someone who did not :confused: ?

I notice that if you sign up for the Kaplan program they give you lecture notes (or review notes). Do you think that these might be comprehensive enough and i would not need other things beside FA? What do you guys think? Also, is there a difference (Pros and cons) between the actual live lectures (US) and taped lectures of Kaplan? furthermore, is Kaplan home study note kits ($450) the same as the other kaplan's review programs? Lastly, is it feasable to review and take your step 1 during clerkship years so to possibly be able to reduce the time needed to complete the requirements for ECFMG certificate after graduation and be able to participate in the "MATCH" that year? I know clerkship in the Philippines is really a form of slavery and very exhaustive (36 hour duties). I am afraid i might not be able to have enough quality review time if i were to do it and possibly suffer from failing or worse, a low score! :eek:

I would appreciate greatly any comments. :) :D

Thank you all. Good luck and God bless all of us! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

DJMD777 said:
Is signing for Kaplan put one at a greater advantage as opposed to someone who did not :confused: ?

I think Kaplan is definitely worth it, The review course is quite expensive, but for IMGs I think it makes a big difference. I took the Kaplan course last summer, and there were a lot of IMGs there who were very satisfied with it.

DJMD777 said:
I notice that if you sign up for the Kaplan program they give you lecture notes (or review notes). Do you think that these might be comprehensive enough and i would not need other things beside FA?

Kaplan lecture notes are pretty comprehensive. If you pair those with First Aid and qbank, you should be fine.

Hope this helps, I don't really know the answers to your other questions. All I can say is it is probably easier to take the exam soon after basic sciences because the material is fresh in your head.

Good Luck :luck: