Kaplan Topical Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooseKing

Senior Balla
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. For the past week now I have been doing the Kaplan topical tests and not been doing so well on them- its kinda depressing because sometimes I have absolutely no idea whats going on in the passage. I will be taking the mcat in April and I was wondering if it was worth doing them and if those questions are similar to the type I will see on the mcat. I am getting worried because I don't have too much time left and I have only taken one practice AAMC test.

Members don't see this ad.

they are tests that are specific to topics. for example a few passages and discretes on genetics or electrochemistry etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my MCAT I had a passage that i have seen in the kaplan topical test actually show up.. All of the questions were way different , but it was interesting.

You should do them and figure out why you got the questions wrong, but don't let them depress you. Some of those tests help reinforce important concepts.

Good practice ... make time for them if you can

The BS ones are very challenging and very good practice for the real deal Bio which is of the same difficulty (harder than aamcs)

I was scoring around 69 - 85% on them

EDIT: I was talking about the section tests above

topical tests are alright... just learning tools

Hey guys. For the past week now I have been doing the Kaplan topical tests and not been doing so well on them- its kinda depressing because sometimes I have absolutely no idea whats going on in the passage. I will be taking the mcat in April and I was wondering if it was worth doing them and if those questions are similar to the type I will see on the mcat. I am getting worried because I don't have too much time left and I have only taken one practice AAMC test.

Hey there, the Kaplan Topical Tests are designed to be learning tools, not testing tools. They are intended to be an extension of the Lesson Book to some degree. They are purposely designed to be difficult -- the idea is that these tests will help expose weak areas you may otherwise have not known about. That said, some of the passages and questions are stronger than others. For example, the first passage of the Electric Circuits Test is a bit "out there". The Stoichiometry Test is loaded with questions that will no longer appear on the MCAT (mathematically intense questions rarely show up). On the other hand, the second passage of the Electric Circuits Test is gold. The Review Notes, online workshops, and Lesson Book do not discuss RC circuits, and that could be a topic the MCAT will have a passage about. The poster who wrote above that the Biology topical tests are particularly useful is quite accurate -- those are the most helpful (outside of the Molecular Genetics Topical Test, which is not even helpful as a learning tool).

But let's not get lost in the details: the utility of the topical tests is that they may teach you about science concepts you would otherwise not know from completing the other assignments.

As an FYI, I am a veteran Kaplan instructor. I advise most of my students to treat the Topical Tests as required assignments. That said, I warn my students repeatedly that these are NOT good testing tools. Don't time yourself, and don't worry about the % correct. LEARN from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found them very helpful! They are for solidifying your grasp of the material. If you are getting a lot wrong for a specific topic, you should go back to the review books and relearn it...and also return to the topical test and figure out why your answers were wrong. Don't just ignore these topical tests because they're hard...use them to reinforce the material.

if I am using the Princeton Review Course books, will that knowledge (that comes from the Princeton Review books) be enough to answer the questions from the Kaplan Online Topical Exams? Or do those questions bias the information given in the Kaplan Books?

Man....these topicals are freaking hard

I agree! I'm getting through them right now and Physics especially is kicking my butt! I don't even understand the explanations in some of those convoluted passages.... but I'm determined to get through them because I'd kick myself later if I had all of these tools and didn't use them.

I also found the verbal passages on Full Length 2 to be way too dense!

yea the explanations are not great. hey by the way, are you doing the subject tests w/ the ~30-40 discreet questions...they are pretty hard too.

I really dont feel like doing them ... and most agree that the sectionals and topicals are better practice for full lengths rather than the subject tests w/ the ~30-40 discreet questions

what do you think?

I think the topical tests were good challenging sections to take after you did all the review material and some FL's already, so you can go back and see if you have any weaknesses popping up, but also to refine and keep your skills in material that you may have gone over two or three months ago. Are they tough? Yes, but would you rather be practicing difficult material and doing decent, and then coming to the MCAT and not be shocked by the difficulty, or would you rather take easy practice that you ace and then have one or two bizarre mcat passages ruin knock you off your game?

A lot of it though, especially physics and chem, are very math intensive. More so than the AAMC FLs or the actual MCAT, but if you use these for practice I think it helps you understand the concepts a bit more and solidify the math/theory knowledge of the topics. If you can integrate it into your thinking and language than questions will become clearer. Like that solubility question someone posted in another thread. Sure, its a straight up math question and one that probably would come up on a kaplan FL or topical but if you understand the theory behind the math you would see that when the compound gets dissolved there's two hydroxyl ions per molecule so the solution should be basic.

What I'm trying to say is the more practice you can do the better, and the more challenging it is, the more you'll learn.

yea the explanations are not great. hey by the way, are you doing the subject tests w/ the ~30-40 discreet questions...they are pretty hard too.

I really dont feel like doing them ... and most agree that the sectionals and topicals are better practice for full lengths rather than the subject tests w/ the ~30-40 discreet questions

what do you think?

I'm going to do the subject tests because it wouldn't hurt to do them and I have the time. So why not? Who knows, it may actually help. Like I said before, I don't want to leave myself any excuses when it comes to test day. I want to make sure that I use every resource available to me.

i wish i knew how bad kaplan's material was before i signed up for it. i knew their verbal would be bad but physical sciences are impossible. biology isn't too bad though.

i wish i knew how bad kaplan's material was before i signed up for it. i knew their verbal would be bad but physical sciences are impossible. biology isn't too bad though.

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I was really starting to get discouraged. My plan is to get through all of the Kaplan tests (excluding full lengths) in the next 10 days. That'll leave me 50 days to my MCAT (June 18) and I can better fine tune my practice and studying closer to the exam. I've already taken Kaplan FL 1 and 2. After I get through the rest of the Kaplan Tests, I'll take a Kaplan FL every Monday and AAMC every Thursday leading to the exam.

I think the topical tests were good challenging sections to take after you did all the review material and some FL's already, so you can go back and see if you have any weaknesses popping up, but also to refine and keep your skills in material that you may have gone over two or three months ago. Are they tough? Yes, but would you rather be practicing difficult material and doing decent, and then coming to the MCAT and not be shocked by the difficulty, or would you rather take easy practice that you ace and then have one or two bizarre mcat passages ruin knock you off your game?

A lot of it though, especially physics and chem, are very math intensive. More so than the AAMC FLs or the actual MCAT, but if you use these for practice I think it helps you understand the concepts a bit more and solidify the math/theory knowledge of the topics. If you can integrate it into your thinking and language than questions will become clearer. Like that solubility question someone posted in another thread. Sure, its a straight up math question and one that probably would come up on a kaplan FL or topical but if you understand the theory behind the math you would see that when the compound gets dissolved there's two hydroxyl ions per molecule so the solution should be basic.

What I'm trying to say is the more practice you can do the better, and the more challenging it is, the more you'll learn.

Curious to know... did you get through all of the material?

Curious to know... did you get through all of the material?

No lololol.

Ideally I would've like to do more topical tests. So maybe I should take my own advice or be willing to accept mud in my face.

Seriously though, I think its a good idea to do some. If anything, maybe just do ones that you need more work in.

Everyone studies different, and has different ways of being successful. I was just trying to be supportive or give my opinion of the topical tests, since some people were saying they're a waste of time. I'll personally find out in a month if it was a waste or not.

No lololol.

Ideally I would've like to do more topical tests. So maybe I should take my own advice or be willing to accept mud in my face.

Seriously though, I think its a good idea to do some. If anything, maybe just do ones that you need more work in.

Everyone studies different, and has different ways of being successful. I was just trying to be supportive or give my opinion of the topical tests, since some people were saying they're a waste of time. I'll personally find out in a month if it was a waste or not.

Thank so much for being supportive. I totally agree with you.. they're definitely not a waste of time. And thanks for your valuable advice. I was just wondering if anyone can ever get through all of that material LoL it's so much!

It really is a lot. This was my 2nd got at the MCAT in April. My first time was in junior year (two years ago) and I told myself, I'm going through it all this time, since I had a lot of time but then life just gets in the way - a family sickness, had to move to a new apartment, grad school; you know how it goes. Its not a waste of time, maybe not the best absolute perfect material (but what really ever is) but practice is practice, and their challenging so you can only improve.

Good luck and hopefully you hit it out of the park when you sit for your mcat.