Kaplan USMLE Lecture notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code Yellow

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 2007-2008 Kaplan Lecture notes with DVDS? How helpful were they?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have time to read through all of those books but they are fairly dense. You would probably have to read them a few times.

Some books are pretty long like biochem, micro, anat and physio >400pgs each!

I'm on a short time frame so I substituted those books with medessentials and watched the videos after each section. i.e. all the anatomy sections then to the videos, then questions after, then the parts in the first aid. The medessentials have all the important charts and diagrams from the books.

If you have time then it's up to you. I'm not saying the lecture notes are bad, just too long if you are on a time constraint.

I think some of the tables and diagrams in the lecture notes are worthy of being bound into my FA. YMMV

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing kaplan vids along with the books throughout my course work.. so it shouldn't be too bad come board review time. In my opinion, the books are very thorough and the videos complement them nicely. I normally read the chapter or chapters.. and later on when I'm too burnt out to read, i just view the videos and note whatever explanations presented were worthy of being noted. So that's almost two passes right there in one day!

But agree with above, the books are huge and its very time consuming.. even though they are a decently quick read.

If you're weak in a certain area.. you should def do the books plus video combo because kaplan is very thorough and does a good enough job of explaining concepts. Other than that, if you're strong in certain subjects you could use a smaller source or just read through the books.. no need for videos in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Hi, how do you get the DVD? I look at the Kaplan website, the only one with video is center prep which you have to go there to watch it; how can you watch it at home?

Thanks

I've been doing kaplan vids along with the books throughout my course work.. so it shouldn't be too bad come board review time. In my opinion, the books are very thorough and the videos complement them nicely. I normally read the chapter or chapters.. and later on when I'm too burnt out to read, i just view the videos and note whatever explanations presented were worthy of being noted. So that's almost two passes right there in one day!

But agree with above, the books are huge and its very time consuming.. even though they are a decently quick read.

If you're weak in a certain area.. you should def do the books plus video combo because kaplan is very thorough and does a good enough job of explaining concepts. Other than that, if you're strong in certain subjects you could use a smaller source or just read through the books.. no need for videos in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

How do you have time to watch these? Pharmacology had I think 30+ lectures alone!

quit studying for my schools pointless tests very early in the game. according to my world average it didn't help. :( also i didn't watch the pharm. its all about behavioral, biochem and immuno.