Kaplan Video Lectures... necessary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you've just graduated fresh out of medical school, you have everything already explained to you fairly well in a detailed manner, and you're going for the Step II exam... should I still purchase the "Kaplan Video Lectures"???

I mean I will get the books, 1st aid and all... study again and solve as many MCQs as possible. But the video lectures? I fear they may be a total waste of time, and I really can't afford that. So what-say-u ppl?

Are the video lectures important?

PS - I have a 2nd cousin (who happens to be lazy, slow, and late on studying) in the US preparing for the exam with the videos and all. He keeps dodging the questions about their importance, and being the total d!ck he is, keeps telling me "They're nice", "You'll know when u get them"...etc.
So, what do u think?

PS2 - I'm shooting for a surgical subspeciality which means I don't just want to pass, I somehow need a 99 score. Which means if the tapes are not imp, I should better be studying that same time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen some of the videos, but I signed up for the live course.

For me I thought it was completly worth it because I was lazy early on in my 3rd year about studying. My school is not allowed to sit for any clinical shelf exams (rumor has it because we cannot be in a controlled enviroment with school representatives and students in the past have stolen the shelf exam.) So the incentive to really study hard was not there.

I dont think the videos are going to get you a 99. I dont know if there is any other formula for a 99 other than studying hard and knowing your sh-y-t.

The videos will lay a foundation for your studying. They will most likely tell u the most important things to know (the basics). I don't think the videos will get you a 99 alone.

I've been going through the videos for most of 3rd year. Videos + Kaplan notes may lead you to a great score though. There's a lot of info in the Kaplan notes and if you know it all I'm sure you would do well (easier said than done).

So I'm sensing if you're a fresh graduate, with everything already explained to you, in lessons and university lectures and rounds, so u don't need to hear it all over again, right?

If they're gonna say the basics, and leave out the hardcore details where the tough MCQs come from, so I shouldn't bother listening to them, right?

I mean, what's gonna get the 99? Listening to some basics I've already heard and known, or study and exercise instead? I gues the latter brings a better chance at scoring a 99, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try listening to the videos. See what you think.

By "basics" I meant the videos give you a foundation. The detailed questions on Step 2 (from what I heard Step 2 is like) cannot be answered by the videos alone. In my opinion, you have to at least know the Kaplan notes cold (which is a crapload of info; if you decide to use Kaplan materials only) + do a crapload of questions. I have gone over most of the videos. Will be looking over the Kaplan notes. Will be doing UW questions. After going all that, maybe review usmle secrets in the last few days.

I don't know you...you know yourself best. You may like Kaplan notes you may not. Some use other sources and have done well.

A friend who took Step 2 suggested Boards and Wards (although I don't know how he did though).

Haven't taken Step 2 yet. Just giving you an idea of what I think may help you get that 99.

Thanks for ur replies :)

And u see there I always thought Kaplan was the "official" source for the USMLE... turns out there isn't anything s the 'official' source.

Well, if I already have a powerful foundation, so I don't think I'll need the videos then.

Anyway I went to the Kaplan center and they said I got 5 hours of a free Kaplan video trial course. I'll check it out and see how informative it actually is....

It's just that I get the impression that these videos are for someone who doesn't have an idea of medicine and wants everything explained all over again to have a foundation...

This may be a little off-topic, but do you all think the Kaplan videos + notes are a good way to prepare for third year rotations and shelf exams?

starry sky said:
This may be a little off-topic, but do you all think the Kaplan videos + notes are a good way to prepare for third year rotations and shelf exams?

This is what I did for 3rd year. These are enough for Honors and High Passes in 3rd year. My friend that took Step 2 a few weeks ago told me that there was a lot of stuff from the kaplan notes on her exam as well.

Try ebay if you decide you want the lectures but don't want to pay big bucks for them. I like them but I am still a third year and am using them in conjunction with rotations.

JBlue said:
Try ebay if you decide you want the lectures but don't want to pay big bucks for them. I like them but I am still a third year and am using them in conjunction with rotations.

Thanks for the tip! I already purchased the Kaplan videos and notes on Ebay a couple days ago. Just waiting for them to arrive.... Omarsaleh66- that's really encouraging that you were able to earn honors/high passes with the Kaplan set.