Step II Kaplan videos?

Started by kdburton
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are the Kaplan Step 2CK videos useful for shelf exams? If so what is the newest edition? I can get my hands on the 2003-04 if need be, but they look kinda old... Ideally I'd like to watch all of these along with my clerkships (i.e. studying for shelfs) so that come the beginning of 4th year I can concentrate on more focused material and lots of questions for Step 2... Anyone else used a similar strategy?
 
I saw a set of 04 05 videos a while back ... but they were really from 2001 ... I wish I had them during clerkships ... I'd probably still study review books though but everything helps ... the thing that matters is what do you have time for?
 
I saw a set of 04 05 videos a while back ... but they were really from 2001 ... I wish I had them during clerkships ... I'd probably still study review books though but everything helps ... the thing that matters is what do you have time for?

Well this whole month i'm doing a radiology elective that is M-F 8-12noon. Next month I'm on outpatient internal medicine (so probably 8-5). I've got a lott of time over the next couple months. My plan is to do Step Up a couple times, all of MKSAP and UWorld for the internal med questions. That may eat up my study time by itself, but if peopel had success with Kaplan I'd consider changing my plans
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seriously? not a single person has done this (or at least heard of doing this)?

I believe these videos are copyrighted material that Kaplan requires you to watch at their locations, and not legally released for distribution or external sale. It is foolhardy to admit to owning copies of this (even older years), on a public forum. So SDN is not a proper forum in which to discuss this, unless you are asking about actually going to the centers to use the videos at a cost of the thousand(s) of dollars they charge. So no, not too many US med students are doing this, for financial reasons.
 
Yeah yeah - I'm well aware of copyright laws and nothing I've said can conceivably lead anyone to believe that I've broken any laws unless they make grossly erroneous assumptions about my original post. However, let me rephrase for the sake of having a discussion about these learning tools which may or may not have proven to be useful for students in the past. I can get my hands on the DVDs at my local Kaplan center. Has anyone made use of these during 3rd year clerkships? If so, did it help?
 
Last edited:
Yeah yeah - I'm well aware of copyright laws and nothing I've said can conceivably lead anyone to believe that I've broken any laws unless they make grossly erroneous assumptions about my original post. However, let me rephrase for the sake of having a discussion about these learning tools which may or may not have proven to be useful for students in the past. I can get my hands on the DVDs at my local Kaplan center. Has anyone made use of these during 3rd year clerkships? If so, did it help?

I drove to the local Kaplan everyday during my peds rotation and watch the videos at the expense of thousand(s) of dollars and thought they were absolutely fantastic and money for the shelf (although I don't have my shelf result, so take that with a few grains of salt). I have been going to Kaplan for OBGYN as well, however, have not found these to be anything remotely like the peds videos.
 
i thought the peds vids were pure hell. all that guy does is read to you; thats all any of them do.
you'd be better off trying to find them on audio, listening to them while you walk ur dog, wait for the bus, or while you stool, etc..

law2doc, gimmie a break dude, go back to law.
 
Last edited:
those vids correlated pretty well with kaplan's 2009 version of the lecture notes. so even thought they're from 2001 i guess not that much has changed. all of them except for some im lectures, and psych were pretty good... surgery was good but probably not enough for the shelf but def all you need to know for step2, gyn was awesome cause the dude made gyn-onc very easy to remember and understand. ob was ok.. same with peds. some im lectures were good others not so much. but the info is pretty current, at least for kaplan standards. like some of the lectures fallowed pretty much word for word with the vids and the vids are supposed to 8 years older..