Kaplan vs boards boot camp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slayton

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. I'm a second year DO student getting ready to start studying for step I. My school offers Kaplan, but I heard that boards boot camp was good too. I would have to pay for boards boot camp and I don't know if I should spend the extra money since we get Kaplan already for free from the school. Do you think it is worth it? What are the added benefits of boards boot camp compared to Kaplan? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation that you are. From my understanding, Boards Boot Camp gives you a very organized plan of study. I was also told that the online lectures are very good too. I'm still trying to figure out which program to go with. It sounds like BBC is a solid program, but I don't know if I really want to pay the price.

My school gave everyone the BBC package. Our first-time pass rate was abysmal. Multiple people I talked to didn't like it at all because they said it wasn't in-depth enough and the questions provided weren't well-written or challenging enough.

I chose not to do it because I couldn't find anything about it here on SDN or any other website, and no upperclassmen from my school knew anything about it. So, I decided to stick with the classic triad of FA, UWorld, and Goljan. Worked out very well for me.

If I were you I would stick with the well-known and respected resources listed above. If it has worked for so many others it can work for you. It's really all about the work you put in during the first two years, but using quality resources to review sure does help, too.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.