Kaplan vs DAT Bootcamp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoctorFrankenstein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to sign up for either DAT bootcamp or Kaplan and was wondering what some of you thought about either course. I've already saved up the money to take the Kaplan course, so the fact that it is more expensive is not a deciding factor for me. I plan on taking my DAT mid June, so I will start studying during this semester, then I will have time to study 8-10 hours a day for about a month, then I start my internship and will study while doing that for 2-3 weeks before taking the test. I will have about 10-12 weeks of total time with the last 7 being pretty intense.

Whichever course I do I will also be using DAT Destroyer, Chad's Videos, and Cliff's AP Bio to help build a good foundation of material. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bootcamp is a million times better imo. The only part I really thought kaplan had on point with my DAT was the RC, because RC is a lot harder on bootcamp than what I was actually given on the DAT, which was more similar to kaplan's.
I personally used my own knowledge and notes from courses and then used mainly bootcamp to get the extra knowledge in.
I will say the QC portion of BC tends to be lacking, at least in how they have resources to help teach you about the math parts. But again, I mainly used previous knowledge and supplemented it with bootcamp.
EDIT: forgot to mention as well, but kaplan may change it, but Kaplan didnt include the new QC parts of quantitative comparison but BC did.

Last edited:
People on here like to bag on Kaplan a little and I don't really get it. I pretty much just used their blue books and Google and my lowest score in any section was a 22.

If you're thorough by nature and are working with a master list of all the subjects covered, I can't see how the real test will catch you by surprise, regardless of the program you use.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm certainly a proponent of the DAT bootcamp/Destroyer/Chad's Videos/Feralis notes combo for DAT studying. I bought the blue book by kaplan but ended up not using it at all because it didn't really add anything to my study routine. It felt like it had a lot of fluff material and wasn't difficult enough. Biggest complaint there is the PAT material, which is very outdated and too easy. The flash cards that came with it were useful, though. I did use those.

That said, I think it ultimately comes down to how much time and dedication you put into the test (and your background in the sciences going in). If you make a strong study plan and stick to it, you should do well. Most people I know used bootcamp, but I do know a few who solely used kaplan and did well.