Kaplan vs. Dr. Collins

Started by Lmerc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lmerc

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone just studied off the Kaplan book? What was your experience?

Thanks in advance
 
I got a 98 on the PCAT from Dr. Collins + Kaplan's PCAT. I highly recommend using both. Kaplan, despite how thick the book is, only takes a few weeks to get through if you put in a few hours a day. It's an easy read and has a great bio section, but the Dr Collins chem section is an absolute must have as well.
 
I got a 96 with a 99 in bio and a 97 in chem with just Kaplan. Used Khan Academy and my textbooks too. I think it'll depend upon how much you remember from your classes. A lot of the stuff was fresh in my mind (I'm a biochem student FYI) since I had just taken anatomy 1 and 2 and microbiology. I know bio 101 like the back of my hand. General chemistry I definitely needed to brush up on, but doing the Kaplan tests and looking at my textbook and the Khan Academy videos was enough for me.
 
I used just Dr. Collins (took every practice exam twice) and got a 99 composite. I found it easier to focus on just one material rather than jumping around between a bunch of things. My weakest subscore was a 94 in reading comp, maybe outsource for that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay I think I'll use both the Dr. Collins and Kaplan. The other thing is now: will the 2014 updates dr collins be good if I'm taking the pcat in the spring?
 
@Lmerc I actually found the most update questions on the July exam to be from the Fall 2014 update, so I think they might alternate (like the Jan 2015 update questions will now maybe me on the September exam?) If you're taking it in the spring I would look for a July 2015 update. Dr. Collins does send them out to people who bought from him and aren't taking it til September.