Kaplan vs the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How close are the Kaplan subject and practice tests to the real science section on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

How close are the Kaplan subject and practice tests to the real science section on the DAT?

I have heard from various people, and seen from many breakdowns that you should expect Kaplan to be much easier than the real DAT. If you take your Kaplan score and subtract 2 to 3 points you'll probably get your real DAT score, but then again that does depend on the person as well.

I have heard from various people, and seen from many breakdowns that you should expect Kaplan to be much easier than the real DAT. If you take your Kaplan score and subtract 2 to 3 points you'll probably get your real DAT score, but then again that does depend on the person as well.

The OP is talking about the Kaplan online material I think, not the blue book. The online material is tougher and a lot of people have a tough time with their Subject tests, so don't worry if you're not doing well on those. Just keep practicing and try to understand your mistakes.

The OP is talking about the Kaplan online material I think, not the blue book. The online material is tougher and a lot of people have a tough time with their Subject tests, so don't worry if you're not doing well on those. Just keep practicing and try to understand your mistakes.

This is accurate. Kaplan's online material can be tough. I thought it was much more difficult than topscore (full lengths). And, Topscore is more representative of the actual exam. I thought my official DAT was more difficult than both, though, mainly because of the randomness, and a few really tough problems.

The myth that Kaplan stuff is "easy," is just that, a myth. Although, the price of the course is ridiculous, and it's not necessary, as others have demostrated.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I was talking about the online material, subject tests, section tests and so on! Thank you because I am going through it and I'm doing ok but I was wondering where I stand based on these results but I am still going to go through Destroyer after I finish kaplan material.

Yes, I was talking about the online material, subject tests, section tests and so on! Thank you because I am going through it and I'm doing ok but I was wondering where I stand based on these results but I am still going to go through Destroyer after I finish kaplan material.

I was getting 17's and 18's on kaplan practice exams
came back with 19 bio, 18 chem, 19 ochem.

kaplan isn't that bad

Last edited:
from what I remember the online subject tests are harder.

the chemistry expected full on calculations, you rarely get give us the setup type problems like you would on the test.

bio was only so-so. the questions were broad but superficial. very few if any application type questions at all.

math varies from very hard to too easy.

can't remember ochem.

Thank you all!! I appreciate the responses so from what I'm getting it really depends on the person? lol some did better on the real thing some did worse but not by much.