Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cdhj100770

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who has taken the kaplan course prior to the June, August, or Octorber Pcat, please provide your thoughts, such as the preparation that Kaplan provided. I want to invest in the Kaplan course but would like some feedbacks before getting started.

Thanks
 
I would just buy the Kaplan study book with a few others to supplement. Thats what I did, and I did fine. Also Dr. collins study guide is supposed to be really good.
 
Hi i took the kaplan and took the pcat my 2nd time this august with composite 31 =(.. honestly kaplan is not worth $1200. the kaplan math is too easy and nothing like the actual thing. The actual course is ridiculous, but the material is helpful if you do all the quizzes and tests. If you feel the need to have a course that will guide you through your study you should take the kaplan online course so you get all the material. I don't think paying the extra $$ to have someone read from the book to you is really necessary...
 
I too had a bad experience with Kaplan course. I took the course after first PCAT attempt and my composite went down by 4 points. The only subtest I was able to improve was my bio, but mainly because I completed some additional bio pre-reqs. In fact, I scored higher on Kaplan's diagnostic exam than on actual PCAT and got a full refund for the course. Imho, the course is an overkill and not very effective. I did use the Kaplan book, and except for a few typos, it's not a bad book to use in conjunction with other studying material.
 
Last edited:
I did the Kaplan course online, and my PCAT score went up 20 points. I still thought I could do better, so I took the class a second time (free since I paid for it the first time and wasn't satisfied with my score) and also used Dr. collins self study guide and my score went up another 14 points. So I made a 90. I think Kaplan is very effective IF you have the time to study everything they give you. There is a lot of information that comes with the class and if you don't study everything, read all of the chapters, take every single test, figure out why you got the answers wrong on the tests, figure out why the other answers didn't work, etc...then you aren't going to benefit from the class. Kaplan lacks in math, especially calculus, and you should definitely use something else to study math. I used old notes.