kaplan's "lecture notes" vs. "home study books"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivyleague22ny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
I just bought a used set of all the Kaplan's USMLE Step Lecture Notes (Biochemistry, Pathology, Anatomy, Physiology, Pharm, Behavioral Sciences, and Micro/Immuno). They look like review books, but in the intro they stress they are "lecture notes."

How different are these "lecture notes" from the Kaplan Review books of the Kaplan Home Study Set. I was skimming through them and they look like they're good alone even though I don't enroll in the actual Kaplan classes.

Also, if anyone who has taken Step 1 used these "lecture notes," are there any particular subjects I should focus on and others I should just not even read cause there's a better source out there?

I was thinking of reading the lecture notes for "biochem" and "micro" but
I will read the rest from other sources (High Yield Behavioral Sciences, BRS Path/Phys, Lippincott Pharm, Lange Immuno, etc.)...and of course I'll annotate all my notes into First Aid and Step Up. Also I'm currently enrolled in the Qbank/QReview and I already started going through questions on pathophys organs systems we have already covered.

Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated (esp. from those who have already taken the Step 1).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

they stress "lecture notes" because they're the books sold with the lecture courses. it's basically a way to get people to enroll in the courses (and spend lots more money). believe me, you don't need the course -- the lecture books are enough.

the lecture notes are adequate for everything (behavioral science is very good); path is a little weak since it's all in outline form, but this may work for you. go with the brs path book if you want another source.

good luck.